Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Call the fire department

Default Call the fire department

Doing a cutout in cherry at .125 max pass and suddenly I could hear this ear-piercing sound coming from the machine. Ran downstairs and smoke was coming out of the CW and the wood was starting to burn. What did I do wrong?? Is my bit still any good?? It looks worse than it is cause I sprayed water on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG439.jpg   IMG438.jpg   IMG437.jpg  

Are you sure it was only going 1/8" deep? Do you run a vacuum system on your machine? I would start by cleaning your bit with some pitch remover and then inspect it close. If it feels "SHARP" then I'd say it's ok. The edges should really feel sharp, I've actually cut my fingers removing it from my collet before. I'll tell you something else I do when I do a cut out, like you did use .125 max cut but I also have a hose that I connect to the exhaust of the cut motor (a hose off my 5 gal shop vac) and put it in the slot on top to help blow the chips out while my vacuum sucks it out once it's air born. Yeah I know a lot say it's not a good idea to do this but I've done this since day one and never had a problem, KNOCK on WOOD.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Zan it looks like the board slipped in the x drive. Which made the bit cut the wrong place. Even if you are doing .125, on the 6th pass if the bit is not in the right spot it is cutting 3/4" deep. Did you have masking tape strips on the bottom of the board to keep it from slipping?
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

another thing to think of is what was your setting set at normal, best, or optimal.

5. Default

Buildup of sawdust. Bit possibly dull or not clearing chips. What kind of dust collection are you using?

I don't have a dust collection system yet, I vacuum 4-5 times during the carve (anti-static brush kit) and vacuumed again when I changed the bit. There was hardly any dust on the board. I think the bit is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    I don't have a dust collection system yet, I vacuum 4-5 times during the carve (anti-static brush kit) and vacuumed again when I changed the bit. There was hardly any dust on the board. I think the bit is the problem.
    Most likely your problem was the dust build up in the cut path during the cut out not the dust left over from the pattern carving.

My rule is to not leave the machine unattended during the cut out operation.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Most likely your problem was the dust build up in the cut path during the cut out not the dust left over from the pattern carving.

My rule is to not leave the machine unattended during the cut out operation.
    Agree with this, I may leave while it's carving but can always hear it... but I never leave when it's cutting. Too many things can happen, and have experienced too many problems. Listen to the machine, it will tell you if there is an issue. Excess noise, motor bogging down etc. And definitely suggest getting a dust collection system going. I made my dust scoop and it works great. I can share the pattern for cutting out the side shape, then just fabricate the rest. Makes a HUGE difference.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

I have had a Radio Shack wireless intercom in my shop since I built it. It not only works as a monitor when I am carving and want to go in the house for a bit, it also is a great way to communicate without having to trek out to or in from the shop. I do like to be in the shop when it is cutting a piece out, though for the reasons already stated....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

After cleaning it up yesterday, I could tell that the board had moved just a tiny bit. Had this issue couple of times cutting out hardwood. Is there a way to prevent that? You all right about being there during the cutout. My CW is downstairs so I always hear what's going on but I could have saved my bit just being right there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast