Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Call the fire department

Well ordering the dust collector today. For the past few months, I've had to remove my board sensor and clean it before each carve. Didn't think it would make that much of a difference. Again, thanks all for the great advice!

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Bert,

If he specified 1/8" MAX Pass in the Cut Path menu, then it doesn't matter where the cutout started...it would never exceed 1/8" at a time per pass. I have used masking tape maybe three or four times in nearly 7 years (on MDF projects)...otherwise, no. I just slightly "scuff" the edge of the board that contacts the brass roller with some 150-grit sandpaper. Many folks swear by the use of the masking tape, but you need to be sure it is very securly pressed down or it could cause slippage as well.
    Hi mtylerfl,

If he specifies 1/8" cuts, then the machine must make six passes to cut through the board. 1/8 x 6/1 = 6/8 which equals 3/4". If the board slips on the "6TH" pass then the bit is already 3/4" deep. And it would then be making a 3/4" deep cut, because it is no longer in the same cut path as the 5 previous passes. Notice that the bit is burned the depth of it's cut. I have used masking tape on every project since I had the same problem.
    Last edited by badbert; 11-25-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

It seems no one asked the "stay under the rollers" question here. In my experience the board slips pushing up the rollers and the tracking can shift a little each time the front roller drops. When the front roller drops, the tracking passes from the brass roller to the x encoder and x gear backlash can become an issue.

about the stay under rollers, I have gotten into the habit of seeing what the size of the pattern is and add seven inches to the board and not prompting it to stay under rollers I had issues of the pattern downsizing at first and went though a lot of wood figuring out "WHY IT DO THAT" I am wondering if that might be the problem as to why I'm having problems with the x drive now.

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    about the stay under rollers, I have gotten into the habit of seeing what the size of the pattern is and add seven inches to the board and not prompting it to stay under rollers I had issues of the pattern downsizing at first and went though a lot of wood figuring out "WHY IT DO THAT" I am wondering if that might be the problem as to why I'm having problems with the x drive now.
    Ahhh...have you read the Tips & Tricks ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It!

...and this one too...ISSUE 3 December 2007 – Handy Tips for Everyone!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I gave it a try again today with a 2-sided carve, pocket holes on the back (with tape). Turned the board for the actual carving, everything was fine until the it was finished. Stood there with the vacuum close to the bit but even though, all the cutouts were completely off...did not fit with the pocket holes and my frame is ruined. Checked the belt tension, the head pressure and everything is fine. I will call headquarters tomorrow cause I just can't figure this one out. It's off on the Y and X axis by about .125" both ways.

Two-sided carves can be tricky to align. Your machine may not be at fault. I don't think that the optical board sensor is all that accurate. If you are using Place On Corner or Place On Center, you are relying on the optical board sensor to measure precisely. I have had better luck on two-sided carves by marking the center of the board, front and back, and using jog to center to set up the back and front machining.

I did so many complicated 2 sided-carves last summer and it was dead on but it was on pine, not hardwood.

I carve all kinds of wood and corian ... I don't use Tape and I don't use dust collection !!!! Never burnt a bit or a board ... I use a 2 flute cutter bit with an ER20 or ER11 spindle ... I replaced my sand paper belts with sand paper belts I got from a Co. in Wyoming.. They seem to have much better grip on what ever material ur running through the machine ... I think the Spindle,, Bit and custom sandpaper belts make all the difference ... Oh and the custom belts only cost like $ 10 -12 and shipping was like $ 4 .. I found the place in thread here on the forum ... So I guess U could do a search ...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

10. Default custom sanding belts

I use the same belts the company is customsandingbelts.com 1-800-831-6066,ask for aluminum oxide open coat w-15" x L-13" Grit 120 dry. They work great and the price can't be beat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast