Thread: Stripped the hex head on my carvetight collet or grab paw with screw.

Default Stripped the hex head on my carvetight collet or grab paw with screw.

Hey anybody,
    I seem to have stripped the 4mm hex head on the "grab paw with screw" part of my collet. I tried to loosen it with some WD40 and it will tighten and loosen to a certain point, then stop, then the hex head rounded. Anybody have any suggestions as to how to remove the screw so I can replace it? And why is it only moving in and out so far?
    Thanks for the help
    Josh
    Josh Link
    J. D. Link Designs
    www.jdlinkdesigns.com

My guess would be that part of one of the lock washers broke off and got into the paw. It may have made itself a little indent in the screw and now will not come out. I would try and find a hex wrench which fits tighter and again try and screw it out. Maybe a small pair if vise grips can grip the head. Maybe you can cut a screw driver slot with a Dremel cut off wheel.

(Try pushing on the paw from inside with a 1/2" shank as you try and turn out the screw.)

Well I got it out!... I replaced it with a new one. The old one had all the threads stripped off about half way down. I have not idea what could have caused that. When I put the new one in it started to re cut the threads on the screw. It still tightened. I am hesitant to try to tap a new hole since the screw did tighten. I am going to run a test project tonight to see if I fixed it.

Thanks for the help.

Josh
    Josh Link
    J. D. Link Designs
    www.jdlinkdesigns.com