Thread: This, is what I want to do.

Default This, is what I want to do.

Deleted Post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sample.jpg  
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Looks good to me!
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

looks good to me also.

Lol. Sorry fellas, I had tried to delete the entire posting, but could not see a button for allowance. So I deleted the message that I had written; largely on the strength of feeling that, just maybe, I hadn't searched enough - on my own - to locate a 'blueprint', of sorts, by which to see how to go about accomplishing the same, as presented ihe picture. I think I can remember being advised that the basic version of Designer had the capability for such a job, and I can see where it appears tome close. But I am just not seeing the depth & definition that I see in the attached example.

More time with the program may be all that I need.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

If you mean you want to design a project like that ( a height map ) so your CW can carve it then you can use the Pattern Editor to tweak a design but from scratch you would need to get some of the add-ons... You can search "height map" on the forum and there are threads with info on using GIMP or other image editing software to basically create similar images by creating grayscale artwork and applying varying degrees of blur and gradients. GIMP is free and nice to have for other work you will find necessary to prep images.

Software as mentioned is gimp or paint.net for editing, also shadermap pro is good if you just want quick patterns from an image. Works best if the image is of line are type. Here is a link about the grays scale.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...Height-pattern
    From here you will be getting into 3d programming.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    Software as mentioned is gimp or paint.net for editing, also shadermap pro is good if you just want quick patterns from an image. Works best if the image is of line are type. Here is a link about the grays scale.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...Height-pattern
    From here you will be getting into 3d programming.
    Thanks, and I did just download the it to my computer. haven't had a chance to try it in my software yet (Photoshop CS5), but will do so very soon. I did, however, try fooling around a bit more in Designer, within attempts at seeking a way to accomplish a desired action. I put one of the included patterns onto my virtual board and, of course, it shown in its default 'recessed' state. I sought for a way to make it appear as if it was carved onto the face of the board - not within it. Let's just say that I wished for the carved element(s) to be raised 1/4" above the surface of my workpiece, and I desired to have 3/4" of real estate on the balance of same. To my way of thinking that would translate into having to start with a 1" piece of material and, then, routing away 1/4" of the surrounding surfaces, by which to give me the 3/4" thickness of the board, itself.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

You're on the right track... and the way you describe it is pretty much what you do in designer. Place you elements on the board (they will be "carve in" as you say and set depth to 1/4").... and then just place a carve region on the rest of the board and set the depth to whatever you want (your example 1/4" deep). Now your carve will be on top of a .75" board. I know there are threads on here with pictures and sample mpc that demonstrate this. I'll do a quick search when i get a second.

I decided it was just as easy to whip up a new sample. This one I only did the carve region on 1/2 the board (lower half) so you can see the difference.

I should add there is one caveat you must watch out for. You always have to leave enough material for the rollers to ride on... for my example, most people would use a sled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sample2.png   Sample.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 11-22-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    You're on the right track... and the way you describe it is pretty much what you do in designer. Place you elements on the board (they will be "carve in" as you say and set depth to 1/4").... and then just place a carve region on the rest of the board and set the depth to whatever you want (your example 1/4" deep). Now your carve will be on top of a .75" board. I know there are threads on here with pictures and sample mpc that demonstrate this. I'll do a quick search when i get a second.

I decided it was just as easy to whip up a new sample. This one I only did the carve region on 1/2 the board (lower half) so you can see the difference.

I should add there is one caveat you must watch out for. You always have to leave enough material for the rollers to ride on... for my example, most people would use a sled.

Db, I could not express how much I appreciate you taking out the time to put together a such an example for me. I TRULY appreciate the consideration.

What you have provided illustrates exactly what I aim for. However, I see no way - within the program - to set up regions to carve out, and areas to avoid recessing. I wonder if you are using the 'base' Designer program, or the more heavily embodied Designer 2.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

it is the base 1.87 designer. If you can post a sample project and let us know what you are trying to accomplish, I'm sure you will get several responses (and most likely several different methods) for accomplishing your goal.
    Doug Fletcher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast