Thread: Software Suggestions, Please.

Default Software Suggestions, Please.

While awaiting my ordered CW, I wondered if someone might be able to suggest some decent software to work with. I am presently playing around with the free version of Designer, but (as it is free) I am nearly certain that it may prove to be a bit anemic. I know that the Project Designer 2.0 is available for purchase, but what about some third party programs that may be of considerable interest to some of the users, here? I have also been kicking the tires of the ArtCAM Express program but, honestly, don't know enough -yet, anyway - to fully comprehend what I am seeing. My primary aim, at the present, is to get into sign making, and also to do relief carvings. It isn't like I have a while bunch of money to spend, so I can't look into anything like the Vectric Vcarve program - which, I have read, is a heavily embodied program. I can spend up to a max of, maybe, $300 on a program - which, (I know) isn't much, but there must be a nice program out there that doesn't have such a huge appetite for cash . Seriously, though, I would DEEPLY appreciate it if someone might have some 'software worthy' suggestions for me, which might sit within my price range.

Nathan

someone has suggested the bender program, it's free and it will give you a chance to see what the third party software does, it is still all greek to me but am trying to learn it !

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    someone has suggested the bender program, it's free and it will give you a chance to see what the third party software does, it is still all greek to me but am trying to learn it !
    aokweld101, that would be the "Blender" program and can be downloaded HERE. There is a very steep learning curve on this 3D program if you don't have any background for 3D modeling.

Nathan, you might want to look at "Gimp". This is another free download. But don't be fooled. It is a very powerful program, IMHO, just a notch below the very expensive Photo Shop. I use it to make height maps for some of my patterns. It can be downloaded HERE.
    There is nothing anemic about the 1.187 version of designer you are trying. That comes with your machine and is the only software the CarveWright understands as far as uploading patterns to the machine. In other words, all patterns will have to go thru designer to be uploaded to the machine. You will have to register it when you receive your machine and it will no longer be a "trial", but a full blown version. You have the option to upgrade to the 2.1 version, but there are still a lot of Carvewright Gurus out there still using the 1.187 or even earlier versions. After you learn a little more about the system/software and what it can or can't do you can make the decision as to upgrade or not. Just don't get in a big hurry, read everything you can find, watch every video you can find and practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more. The more you learn the easier it gets and the more fun you have with this amazing machine.
    OH! And welcome to the CarveWright family.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Geomoo1 View Post
    aokweld101, that would be the "Blender" program and can be downloaded HERE. There is a very steep learning curve on this 3D program if you don't have any background for 3D modeling.

Nathan, you might want to look at "Gimp". his is another free download. But don't be fooled. It is a very powerful program, IMHO, just a notch below the very expensive Photo Shop. I use it to make height maps for some of my patterns. It can be downloaded HERE.
    There is nothing anemic about the 1.187 version of designer you are trying. That comes with your machine and is the only software the CarveWright understands as far as uploading patterns to the machine. In other words, all patterns will have to go thru designer to be uploaded to the machine. You will have to register it when you receive your machine and it will no longer be a "trial", but a full blown version. You have the option to upgrade to the 2.1 version, but there are still a lot of Carvewright Gurus out there still using the 1.187 or even earlier versions. After you learn a little more about the system/software and what it can or can't do you can make the decision as to upgrade or not. Just don't get in a big hurry, read everything you can find, watch every video you can find and practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more. The more you learn the easier it gets and the more fun you have with this amazing machine.
    OH! And welcome to the CarveWright family.
    Thanks.

You know, I used the wrong choice of a word when I attached the term 'anemic' to the trial program. I guess that a more appropriate reference might have been the word 'crippled'. And that would not have been used in the negative sense, either. I just know that trial versions of programs very rarely allow for full feature set operation. But, I just recently (about an hour, or so, ago) watched a video tut, on this program, which really opened my eyes wide, about it. And I have no doubt that there is more under the hood of this program, than all the niceties that I saw being performed in the video. I can see, now, that LRH surely didn't cheap out on it. I am impressed with it, and will be upgrading to version 2.1.

I have no experience with CAD programs, so I guess I can count on some episodes of brain-draining ��. I do own Photoshop CS5 which (as a hobbyist photographer) affords me the opportunity of nice post-processing capabilities for my photos. But that is to the extent that I have been using that program. I am not far, at all, beneath the surface of that program, which is to say that I yet have so much to learn about it. And I WILL.

i do thank you, however, for the software suggestions you made to me. I didn't care fir GIMP (tried it before I purchased Photoshop). I just finished downloading Blender, and checking out its interface. Just LOOKING at what I was seeing nearly made me break out into a sweat. I shut the pc down, as I knew I'd need to check that program out behind a pair of wakeful eyes. But it looks as if it is a very strong program.

I know that I will have a lot to get under my belt, and that the rewards for doing so will be great.

Again, thanks.

I have been looking at the at the "BLENDER" a couple of times and yes it is mind bougling and especially if no auto cad experience, I have a little auto cad but very little being a welder, fabricator...They let me wonder in the machine shop time to time but didn't do much the machinist would program the machine and I loaded the parts on machine one after another I didn't like it and had no interest in being a machinist.....now I wish I paid more attention......

My suggestion is, get centerline, and conforming vector, and the scanning probe, comes with PE, which you will need anyhow. Now learn the designer software, Look at your PM Private message (notification) on top of this forum. This will get you going as to patterns for awhile. Now once you have learned the software, and if you wish to continue further in making patterns, ask again. You need to learn to swim before jumping into the deep end of this process. Cost of probe, centerline and conforming vector is about $450. Already over your budget from what you posted.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

At your stage I strongly recommend spending more time with Designer. It is neither anemic nor crippled. It is not a trial version. It is very capable. As Geomoo1 said, any other software you use has to go through Designer anyway, so that is your base. If signmaking is one of your goals, you will probably want to add Centerline Text. Every project that I have in the Pattern Depot requires only Designer 1. I did use little Centerline Text for some, but if you don't have it you can substitute raster text with very good results. There is a lot to know and learn about Designer. I think you will be best served concentrating on that for now.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    At your stage I strongly recommend spending more time with Designer. It is neither anemic nor crippled. It is not a trial version. It is very capable. As Geomoo1 said, any other software you use has to go through Designer anyway, so that is your base. If signmaking is one of your goals, you will probably want to add Centerline Text. Every project that I have in the Pattern Depot requires only Designer 1. I did use little Centerline Text for some, but if you don't have it you can substitute raster text with very good results. There is a lot to know and learn about Designer. I think you will be best served concentrating on that for now.
    There were a couple of features that I was trying to access, but the program would not allow it due to the fact that it is running in Demo mode. That, was all I really meant. I was just trying to see those things in action. But it isn't a real biggie, because of knowing that they (those features) are there - by virtue of the reference being made to them. I have no doubt that this program is quite capable, though I do believe that I am going to spring for Designer 2.0. Just a bit earlier I bought the suggested router bits & spacers, as well as the Centerline Text module - though I had a problem downloading it (the green 'Try' button would not activate, for some reason, but I am sure that it will come to pass).

You can also try Inkscape for vector design or Sketchup for 3D......all free and plenty of tutorials on YouTube.

I have the scanning program, I have not used it yet maybe I need to try it, I haven't used it cause I've seen no reason .. it is still in the box.