Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Bought One.

Default Just Bought One.

Hello all. My name is Nathan, and I am now here. Just this morning, I visited Lowes, for the purpose of buying myself a CW machine. I purchased it with their 4-yr protection plan, and should have the unit in about seven days. I have already been heavily browsing through this forum, as well as reading reviews on this machine, from other sites, for the past week. I have to be honest and admit that I was a bit skeptical on purchasing a CW, due to the many problems that I had read about some user's experiences with same. That 'user error' might have been the causative factor for a portion of the read complaints, is not discountable. But it is only sensible to suspect that some of it is due to equipment failure. Now, to what portion each of those scenarios may hold, no one could say. But I will have 4 years of complete protection (after the manufacturer's warranty expires), which will serve to alleviate my fears. The only thing I'd really have to be concerned about (in the event of a breakdown) would be down time.

Having said all that, though, I can't speak enough about the excitement I hold, over getting my CW. I have read everything that I could, on it's feature set, as well as viewed everything I could, on it's operational aspects. I was always left quite impressed, over those perusals, and viewings. I have downloaded a trial version of the software that comes with the machine, and will be playing around with it. Later today, I will also order the dust hood, and heavy duty traction belts. I also wanted the decorative router bit set, but am trying to determine just how much need there might be for them.

But I'd like to ask a question: what all can I do to insure a good start, when my machine gets here? I had read something about the flex cable heating up, and there was a post where a company tech advised that OP to render the cable to an overnight soaking procedure, for remedial purposes. From what I can remember, that procedure did indeed solve the problem. I couldn't find, again, that thread, but hope that someone may know from whence I speak. Also, any other helpful tidbits would be immensely appreciated.

Really glad to be here.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. Sounds like you have been doing your home work, great job!
    I am guessing then you have started viewing all of the tutorials and reading the tips and tricks newsletters. Lots of helpful information to help you get started.

When you order the rubber traction belts ask if they can be installed on the machine you ordered. It will save you some steps when you get your machine. They do a great job in the shop and will insure your machine is recalibrated before it leaves the shop.

In the bit set probably the most used bits will be the 2 V bits (used for centerline text and vector carvings) and the 3/8" straight bit (used for pocket cuts and calibration procedures). The other bits can be used for doing edge profile routing but most carves will use the router table instead. Although they do come in handy for doing profile routing with in a design.

When you call in to place your order get the CW recommended flex shaft lube for the machine. If your machine does not come with the 1/8" straight bit get a couple of those as well. They are what you will be using to do any cut outs for your projects.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing some of your projects..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Where do you live? You might luck out and find someone located within a close enough distance to you to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Canemaker View Post
    Where do you live? You might luck out and find someone located within a close enough distance to you to help.
    I am in Amherst, NY. Just outside of Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. Sounds like you have been doing your home work, great job!
    I am guessing then you have started viewing all of the tutorials and reading the tips and tricks newsletters. Lots of helpful information to help you get started.

When you order the rubber traction belts ask if they can be installed on the machine you ordered. It will save you some steps when you get your machine. They do a great job in the shop and will insure your machine is recalibrated before it leaves the shop.

In the bit set probably the most used bits will be the 2 V bits (used for centerline text and vector carvings) and the 3/8" straight bit (used for pocket cuts and calibration procedures). The other bits can be used for doing edge profile routing but most carves will use the router table instead. Although they do come in handy for doing profile routing with in a design.

When you call in to place your order get the CW recommended flex shaft lube for the machine. If your machine does not come with the 1/8" straight bit get a couple of those as well. They are what you will be using to do any cut outs for your projects.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing some of your projects..
    Fwharris, Thanks.

I have already ordered the CW. It was ordered from Lowes, as it was there that I gained information of the extended protection plan that was available for purchase. Due to that, I will have to go through the process of installation & calibration. I also rethought my interest in that bit set, because of the fact that I already have an arsenal of router bits and, (just like you said) most of the edge profiling can (and, in my case, will) be done on the router table. It isn't about being cheap , but also about extending the life of the motor, due to less taxation.

Now, being that I have already ordered my CW, what comparable lube (to the Flex Shaft Lube) might I be able to pick up? I already know that this CW is going to be 'my baby', and I want to make sure that I keep her happy.

About my researching: yes, I did a fair bit. I am a medical retiree, on fixed income - and with a family, which means that I HAVE to make as much sense as I can about what I spend on. There is a Youtube presenter (Matt/Digitalroute) who put it best, when he said - 'If you be good to it (the CW), it will be good to you'. So, I want to be good to it by pampering it with whatever it might need. I know that I am going to love it, and I can't wait to get into a working relationship with my forthcoming CW.

The only other flex shaft I would use (only because it is what I use) would be the CraneCam Lube with Molly. It is a automotive pre assembly lube with the molly base that is more of a paste versus the liquid. You can apply it the flex shaft and go back to carving with out any down time. Also you get very little if any run back into the cut motor or top bearing on the cutting head. I am still on my original packets that I bought back in 2009.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-99002-1
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    The only other flex shaft I would use (only because it is what I use) would be the CraneCam Lube with Molly. It is a automotive pre assembly lube with the molly base that is more of a paste versus the liquid. You can apply it the flex shaft and go back to carving with out any down time. Also you get very little if any run back into the cut motor or top bearing on the cutting head. I am still on my original packets that I bought back in 2009.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-99002-1
    Thanks much, my friend.

Welcome,
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. This forum is a life saver. Only thing i can say to do is what you are already doing. Read tips + tricks, Do the tutorials ,and ask questions. I am not saying you won't have a few hic-ups along the way, but the more the learn about the machine and its capabilities the easier it gets. I have had my machine for a little over a year and still learning.

Have fun and take it slow!!!

Welcome and enjoy - Just hang in there if you have a problem or two. Once you get a good understanding of the machine and what it does you will become a carvoholic

Quote Originally Posted by blhutchens View Post
    Welcome,
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. This forum is a life saver. Only thing i can say to do is what you are already doing. Read tips + tricks, Do the tutorials ,and ask questions. I am not saying you won't have a few hic-ups along the way, but the more the learn about the machine and its capabilities the easier it gets. I have had my machine for a little over a year and still learning.

Have fun and take it slow!!!
    Thanks, Bl.

I am already so very impressed with this forum, and the information available here is a treasure trove. In a way, I am glad that I wasn't able to bring it home, yesterday, right after purchasing, because I KNOW what would have happened: In no way, shape, form or fashion am I (presently) armed with what I need to know about working with that machine. However, anxiety would have taken me over, and I would have tried to carve SOMETHING on it . It should be here on the 20th of this month, so I have a bit of time to increase my knowledge of the machine's operational aspects BEFORE giving it duty. And that's a GOOD thing .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast