Thread: More front lit litho fun

Default More front lit litho fun

I have been wanting to do some more front lit lithos using the bronze colored cast acrylic. Since my wife's birthday was approaching I thought I would make her a gift (but got ill and did not get it finished in time.) Anyhow, this time I tried using different bits and different quality settings to see how they effected the final product. All three test carvings were done with the same exact file.

I used a picture of my wife when she was a little girl, I had touched this up years ago as it had a rips and other defects. The file was about a 20MB BMP so it was of decent resolution. I first used the 1/16" bit with the 'Best' quality selected when uploading to the card. Then the same 1/16" bit with the 'Optimum' quality setting selected when uploading. The Optimum quality one took about twice as long to carve at around 1:40. The one done with the Optimum quality level did come out better, I hope that shows in the photos.

Next I used a 1/32" bit with the Optimum setting. There is no 1/32" bit setting in Designer so you have to use the 1/16" bit setting but in 'Optimum' quality the step over is finer. This combination produced the best looking output by far. The blotchy/blocky look of the ones done with the 1/16" bit was gone. For the final product I added an oval single color frame around the image in a photo editing program. Then I imported that into Pattern Editor and used the Magic Wand tool select the oval frame edge and erased the frame with the Eraser tool. This left just an oval shaped pattern.

One other 'hidden' feature of Pattern Editor is that when you import an image it distributes the data over the entire resolution range. When you edit a pattern you can wind up eliminating all the pixels that are at the extremes. When you use a pattern like this the Depth/Height settings in Designer may not give you the best results as it is setting the depth/height off the entire resolution range. When I was done editing the pattern in pattern editor I saved it as an MPW and then closed it and reloaded it before saving it to the Pattern Library.

All the pictures were taken in a small photo booth with a low end digital camera and only used front lighting. The camera settings are the same for each image.

I know others have had mixed results using a 1/32" bit for lithos. I'm not sure what makes the difference, if it is the image or the material.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32nd Opti Final Zoom.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	65826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16th Opti.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	65825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16th Best Zoom.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	65822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32nd Opti.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	65829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32nd Opti Zoom.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	65828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32nd Opti Final.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	65827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16th Opti Zoom.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	65824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16th Best.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	65823
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Here are a few screen shots of the frame design. This was done with just Designer using the 3D tools to do the edge of the frame. The rest of the work just used the standard Designer tools.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frame.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	65831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frame 2.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	65830

wow nice work have to give it a try one day .Nice frame .

Good work figuring out the best process ... I have to try a litho 1 day ... I would-a done em by now if I knew how to really edit photos to get them to work ... Maybe Jeff will put a video lesson together us " Software Challenged " .... LOL ....
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Quote Originally Posted by ktjwilliams View Post
    Good work figuring out the best process ... I have to try a litho 1 day ... I would-a done em by now if I knew how to really edit photos to get them to work ... Maybe Jeff will put a video lesson together us " Software Challenged " .... LOL ....
    If it is a high enough resolution photo no editing is required. Multiple subjects in a photo and/or busy backgrounds don't work so good for lithos. Simply import the photo into designer. If you have 2.0 you can see what the litho will look like before carving.
    George

I would not say that 'no' editing is required. A lot depends on the photo. Cropping the photo to just the parts you want is the first step. Then if the photo is in JPG format you need to use de-speckle filter or slight blur to get rid of the artifacts that occur in a JPG compressed image, then save it as a PNG (lossless compression) or BMP file. Having the Pattern Editor can be a benefit as well.

Jeff,
    I agree that a lot depends on the photo and you are correct that some editing may be required on some photos, but I have done quite a few high res photos with no pre editing and they came out fine. As I stated earlier just try to pick a fairly high resolution photo with a single subject and not too cluttered background and it should come out ok.
    George