Thread: x drive issues

Default x drive issues

ok the new x gear assembly is in turned freely. x motor turned freely, right side belt( facing keyboard of course) turned freely. left side belt turned freely

after assembly up to the left side belt being reinstalled everything turned freely. installed left side , it binds. decide to do a quick power on check of the x drive. LOUD ratcheting sound truned but very jerky and extremely slow. I shut down

HELP GUYS please. I have an order to get out very soon

Thanks
    Greg

Make sure when installing the belt drive trays that they both fit in properly and all of the gears match up with each other. I have a bit of an issue some times of getting one of the trays to drop down on the gear side to get the gears lined up. After setting them in place you can turn the large white drive gear to turn both belts to insure all are aligned up. If you get any resistance that will tell you they are not placed correctly.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

So I am guessing you have the Sand Paper belts. The left one or the one under the cut motor is most likely rolled under at the Brass Roller. A Very hard to see thing... You almost need to look at the far side and look at the other belt.. If one is shorter it is usually rolled up...

I make it a habit of cutting about a 1/2 inch off the one under the cut motor at the brass roller... With power off, I use pliers to puncture the belt between metal roller and the flat metal plate. I then tear and rotate the belt.... IF you cut many boards less than 12 inches wide, the belt wears and causes the "Creep" toward the brass roller... I keep a bright edge at the brass roller. When the belt is rolled under AND a board is cranked down.... The SAND PAPER belt side that is rolled under will JAM the belt and SNAP your new Gear....

And you got the broken teeth cleaned out of the old gear correct.... Leaving the broken off teeth and they jam the new gear.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02202_WEB.jpg   DSC02201_WEB.jpg   DSC02200_WEB.jpg   DSC02198_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I had that happen before too. that wasnt the case this time. this is the second time for the belt and the gear. which broke first and caused the other Im not sure. both times the belt has completely seperated at the glue line. both gears have about 5-10 teeth crushed or smashed on the inside gear of the x gear drive. everything rotates freely until the left belt iis installed. I thought maybe the screws in either or both were no properly seated so I checked those. looks like everything is lined up correctly. ll have to try to re install everything tomorrow night.

thanks

Thanks Floyd . I will reinstall everything tomorrow night and double check it

Make sure you check the head pressure. To high of a pressure will create to much force on the gears and they will strip out. Probably the most common cause of stripping the gears. The head pressure should be check often.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

yep I did I checked it after this happened. Its between 75-80, I checked it 5 times. ran the head up all the way and back down each time and made sure it clicked 3 times each time .............just to be uniform on the check

thanks

Sounds like you have to take a good look at that left belt. Maybe a piece of wood is jammed in there. Maybe a roller is bent or a bearing is seized. The gear hitting the aluminum?