Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: getting fustrated at selling items

Default getting fustrated at selling items

I didn't know where to post this so I put it here, I've been carving for a little over a year now and I enjoy using the machine but selling the things that I made won't sell I've invested $10,000.00 into carvewright equipment and have only received $495.00 back for all the time that I used on the machine and the time that it takes to put the project together, I have seven tote buckets slap full of projects and everyone says how nice they are and how talented they think I am and walk on I need a jar to put a penny in it for each time I heard that maybe I could make enough to buy some wood. I was wondering is it that nobody has any money or do I need to wait till the economy picks up or just give it up I've went to the market now for a year and they won't sell I don't know if my prices are to high but I don't want to give it away either...

I gave up on being profitable after my first few shows. I had the lots of traffic and was constantly busy. Made enough to cover the show and lunch! Even lowered my prices, same results. Shows are frequented by crafters, looking for ideas, not buying. Most of the sales I have had, have been from friends and family, to give as presents. Or presents I have made. Some people have doubled the agreed price as gratitude, some people want half-price... Like you said, everyone agrees, "Your work is beautiful!"
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Nice to hear fr0om you Bert
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

If you haven't already done so you might look at selling your items on ETSY or eBay.

I have done both and have a website - took a couple of months or so and then things took off.

Quote Originally Posted by badbert View Post
    I gave up on being profitable after my first few shows. I had the lots of traffic and was constantly busy. Made enough to cover the show and lunch! Even lowered my prices, same results. Shows are frequented by crafters, looking for ideas, not buying. Most of the sales I have had, have been from friends and family, to give as presents. Or presents I have made. Some people have doubled the agreed price as gratitude, some people want half-price... Like you said, everyone agrees, "Your work is beautiful!"
    I am with Bert with this it happened to me I get better from friends
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

My wife and I started selling at Craft Shows this year. So far, my stuff has been slow. When I first got my CW in April, I took in a couple of crosses I made to work just to show folks. 2 weeks later I had sold over $500 worth of crosses. It was right before Easter and I was selling large crosses (11" or so) for $40 and small (7-8") for 25. I was using Cherry or Maple. I figured the wood costs for the small crosses was about $7 (I cut 3 at a time) and about $10-$11 for the large ones. Fast forward to the Fall craft season. My wife sells Quilts, Pillowcases Table runners, etc. I sell my crosses and some Pepper Chip and Dip trays made with a router. The first 2 shows, my wife did fine, me, NADA. The 3rd show I sold 3 crosses. Shows 2 and 3 were at churches and I expected to sell more crosses. Oh well. Next show is this Saturday at a church and I will post on how I did. One thing I am planning on doing is finishing a couple of "Sample Signs" and taking custom orders at the show. I will bring my laptop, show the client what the sign will look like and will require 1/2 the money up front. I will also let you know if this was successful. Sorry for the long post....but just hang in there..

I don't think it is just the economy. I think you can make money, it depends upon what you sell and where you sell it.

What are you selling? There are several forum members who are making money with signs. They are probably offering a product that buyers feel is unique. My best-selling items are the lake maps, I believe because they are unique. They sell for $70-$250 depending upon size and complexity. If you have a product that no one else is offering, you may find a market. If you're selling at a craft show, you're competing with a lot of other vendors for the $10 or $20 in the buyer's pocket, even if you're not offering the exact same items.

Consider some venues other than craft shows. I get most of my sales through a local consignment shop. Sure, the shop takes a cut, but the shop also brings in traffic that would otherwise never know me or my products. Marketing is important. I have also sold some clocks for $300 and $400 on Etsy - I actually took down my Etsy offerings because I got more work than I wanted. If you really want to be in this business, give some of these other venues a try.

Well looks like I'm in a world of hurt then if I have to depend friends and family members to sell my items, I have 4 family members and no friends. I don't drink beer I don't do drugs and don't work and found out that that if you don't have something to offer no one wants anything to do with you if that's what it takes to have friends I don't need them as friends.

Well you have some friends here on the forum. To bad we can't sell anything for you! I have a local sign printer here who just prints paper and plastic signs. Real estate signs and sale signs for stores and the like. He gets requests for carved signs which he either cannot make our has to farm out. It might be worth while to seek out these sign printers, show them some samples and get some kind of partnership going.

Do not be discouraged with your low number of sales. I did sort of the same thing as you, made up a bunch of things I thought people would really go after. I found out early on this really did not work for me. Sure I got a lot of "Oh that is really nice" but unless it is something they are really wanting they just will not buy. I am betting you do the same thing when you are out shopping/looking. Unless it is something you want you will not buy it.

Try some of the ideas others have shared here, consignments at a local shops etc., a specific theme for your area.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast