Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with split carve

Well thanks guys, I have never caved on two boards the trial and error hasn't been there for me I read the tutorials I thought I knew what I was doing cause I played with it... now I need to go back and read it again. I was understanding that the machine would leave enough on the board in between the two sides of the pattern too cut off to join them together.

Did you say ZZTop, the real ZZTop.........OMG . Ahhhhhhhhhhhh I would so love to have webinars, imagine what we could learn from all the pros out here! I wouldn't mind paying for them either.

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    Did you say ZZTop, the real ZZTop.........OMG . Ahhhhhhhhhhhh I would so love to have webinars, imagine what we could learn from all the pros out here! I wouldn't mind paying for them either.
    Actually he is talking about his twin brother from a different mother ! Me!

Not to be confused with these guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0527111830.jpg   ZZTop 5.jpg  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

shhhhhhhhh we could have made some SERIOUS money with some " ZZ Webinars"! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Actually he is talking about his twin brother from a different mother ! Me!

Not to be confused with these guys!
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Well you look like a ZZTop to me.........

Personally I've often wondered if Floyd is a "Duck call" carver in disguise.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

I got an order for a large oval lake map, so I took some pictures this time to illustrate my technique. The oval shape required a little modification from what I usually do for a rectangular map this size.

The finished map was to be about 22" x 44". I started with 12" lumber, two pieces 48" x 11.25" actual size. Because I will be carving across one edge and cutting the oval right up to the other edge, I attached 1" rails to both edges of the boards before machining. I have used these same rails many times - you can see they have been repeatedly carved about a eighth inch or so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6306489.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	447.4 KB 
ID:	65942 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6306490.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	65945

I laid my entire original project out on a half-size virtual board, 22" x 11". I try to keep Centerline text from straddling the center, and put it entirely in one half or another. I group text into top and bottom groups. Next I laid out a new project with a 48" x 13.25" virtual board, and placed a 48" x 11.25" rectangle on the board as a guide for my actual boards. I copied and pasted everything to the new board, and then dragged a corner with all that selected to expand to double size. Of course half of the stuff extends off the board. When satisfied with the size, this gets saved as a master. That way, both top and bottom can be derived from the master with no more stretching, so top and bottom are identical in scale.

Name:	oval Whitefish 22.PNG 
Views:	50 
Size:	636.7 KB 
ID:	65946

For the bottom, I delete the top group of text. The whole carving and text is positioned such that the center is placed just under the top line of the actual board. That way, I will have a bit of excess on each board, which can be precisely trimmed later. I place a 1" wide zero depth carve region just above the actual board, so that the edge of the board will get carved, along with a small bit of the rail.

Name:	oval master.PNG 
Views:	47 
Size:	796.2 KB 
ID:	65947

To facilitate glueing, I elected to glue the two boards as rectangles, then finish cut the oval. I laid out a complete oval to start, but did not use it for cuts as it would extend cut off of the full-size boards. Instead, I laid out a spline using the oval as a guide. I made this a partial cut, .25" deep, with the intent of finishing the cut with a jig saw and a pattern-following router bit.

Name:	S6306491.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	65948

In this case, I did end up with a bit more overlap than usual. Both boards were trimmed with the table saw.

My finishing technique demonstrates my lack of painting skills. Slap on some poly-stain, let it dry, sand the top of the board, finish.

Name:	S6306492.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	65943 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6306505.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	898.9 KB 
ID:	65944

Absolutely great job, Dick. Your process makes a lot of sense and the proof is in the results. I am still trying to perfect the contour tutorial you put together, not because it isn't easy to follow, between my day job, deer season and shop duties, time is a premium. I will be at my place in the UP over the holidays and fully expect to get the hang of it while watching the snow fall. Your help has been outstanding....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Thanks for illustrating the stain technique. Looks really good.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Quote Originally Posted by unitedcases View Post
    Thanks for illustrating the stain technique. Looks really good.
    Thanks. In some woods there is some bleeding of stain into unwanted surface areas. I've had good luck with select pine, oak, and maple. I use Minwax Polyshades, stain and polyurethane combined, which doesn't bleed as much as standard Minwax stain. Then topcoat with clear poly. In some cases I have put a coat of clear poly on the board before carving, even though most or all gets sanded off later, it can help prevent bleeding of the Polyshades.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast