Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Synchronicity

Default Synchronicity

As summer wound down I got back to the computer and shop to build my second Synchonicity clock. You may recall the first one that I built won the Carvewright "Everyone's a winner" contest. This one is essentially the same as that one, with the same base, face, and hands. But I did make a few changes and improvements. I went back to my usual 1/4" Baltic birch for the wheels (larger gears) which makes the clock easier to build. I beefed up the frame and changed the gear sets a bit so that three of the five wheels and three of the five pinions are identical. I also improved the clutch so that it is easier to set the time by simply rotating the minute hand clockwise. I did quite a bit of experimentation with different magnets and coils, and also adjusted the impulse timing software, so that this clock is about 40% more efficient than the Mystery Clock and should run longer on a set of batteries. Now that I have the design finalized, I can build another one and take photos for a build instruction manual. I hope to get this clock into the Pattern Depot within a few weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6306377.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	907.5 KB 
ID:	65522

I liked the old one, but hey.... NEW AND IMPROVED...might have to attempt that project!!!

I am very intrigued with these clocks dickb. I may be a buyer for your initial one to get my feet wet. They just look so neat. Truly a conversation starter as you say. I find myself talking to myself everytime I look at them.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

I think all of your clocks are mesmerizing, which makes it hard to decide which one to build.

The Mystery Clock has been the most popular - I've built a half-dozen of them myself. The large wheels of that clock are a little tricky, as the center holes must be drilled absolutely in the center, and the hub and pinion attached to them must be absolutely perpendicular or the wheels will wobble. The smaller wheels of this clock are less susceptible to wobble and make it easier to build, although there are more parts. This one is obviously a wall clock. It's more compact yet has more gears. It's become my new favorite.

Dick cannot wait to order this clock pattern and hardware when it is available, ordered one of your other ones and look forward to the cold winter nights ahead to build them. I was wondering if you would consider including a pattern to cut the wedges out that were used to glue up the blanks for the gears. Or maybe you already have included those and I didnt catch it in my reading.

thanks
    adam

Adam,

One of the changes that I made was to switch from the glued up blanks to 1/4" Baltic birch plywood for the wheels. I did this for two reasons. One, it makes the clock easier to build. Two, I received word from a couple of other clock makers that gears of that construction could split, and 3 or more ply construction of blanks is warranted. After I release the project, if you want to build a clock with hardwood wheels, get in touch and I will provide the details. I do plan to build one myself, but for many builds the Baltic birch version will be a great comprise of build complexity versus elegance.
    Last edited by DickB; 11-13-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Thanks for the update, I look forward to the release.

One day I will do one of your clocks. I told Santa I was a good Boy. lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast