Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poly Modeling

Default Poly Modeling

I finally got some time today to blow off work and have fun modeling. I am convinced polygon modeling is the way to go with organic decorative elements...way faster to do in quads than nurbs and easier to correct on the fly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.65.jpg   center_element-wire.jpg   untitled.62.jpg   LEAFROSETTE2.jpg  

Untitled-1.jpg   untitled.58.jpg  
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

John nice work. When possible I still return to quads.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie..for the most I am hooked on quads. I bought Aspire when I got another machine but don't model much in it...lol...find quads faster and easier for a lot of stuff...
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

John if you remember I started out with quads, and have stayed with it. I can do complicated organic modeling a lot faster with quads, than NURBS. Things like the semi truck was easier in quads, and much easier to combine objects in the same scene, keeping each independent of the other, plus easier to render. My three programs are quads, NURBS, and sculpting.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Never heard of these programs... you have sources?
    Designer 1.187 Build 10870
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    3D Pattern Modeling Suite
    Rotary Jig

Never heard of them either.
    Are these being carved in acrylic or wood?
    Carvewright A machine 2007
    Carvewright C machine 2013 DC-Insert
    Mavric iMac i7 16gig latest version
    Designer 1.187, Designer 2.04, Centerline Text, Conforming Vectors, STL importer, DFX importer, Pattern Editor and probe

Quads is any program that does modeling using quads, such as 3d max, blender, silo, lightwave and so on. NURBS is programs such as MoI3D, Rhino, and I believe aspire and artcam fall into these too. (may be wrong). Sculpting is ZBrush, and sculptrist.

Eddie

Hi Guys,

There are quite a few polygon modeling programs out there ranging from free to several thousands. The ones costing several thousand dollar ones - 3dsMAx and MAYA - have way more features than you would ever need for modeling patterns, such as rendering and animation. Check out Blender its free and a very good modeling package http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/ for making cnc patterns.

Here is a link to a video that shows how to make a scroll...the guy is using 3dsmax but poly modeling is poly modeling...program really doesnt matter http://3dexport.com/3dtuts/3d-tutori...part-2-scroll/

Peep - those are not an actual carving in the finished photo..those are just a 3d render of the model
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

So what quad program are you using?
    Designer 1.187 Build 10870
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    3D Pattern Modeling Suite
    Rotary Jig

John that is the first video I have watched on 3dsMAx. Thanks for giving the link. I do similar things using both MoI3D and silo3d. I draw it in MoI3d, place a planar (facet) on it, save it as low poly quads, then bring it into silo3d and begin cleaning it up, placing lines where I want them, and then the process of pushing and pulling lines for the desired shape.
    Underdog, I believe John uses 3DsMax.

Eddie

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast