Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extra Long LCD Keypad Ribbon Cables for sale

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I tried to give a thumbs up and on a post got a thumbs down. Then I clicked again and it disappeared. Someone give me a thumbs up.

I tried to post in the Test Forum and it did not show up in new posts. Are we having problems?
    Worked for me.. when I clicked the thumbs up it went to 1 and the box is red thumbs down. Guess this for if I wanted to change it..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I guess I should just go to bed!
    Last edited by bergerud; 10-30-2013 at 12:19 AM.

3. Default

I tried to give a thumbs up and on a post got a thumbs down. Then I clicked again and it disappeared. Someone give me a thumbs up.

I tried to post in the Test Forum and it did not show up in new posts. Are we having problems?
    The thumbs down feature was removed so when you click on thumbs up it shows the thumbs down icon. Clicking on the thumbs down icon removes your previous thumbs up. It can be confusing.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    I think you have yourself confused on this one. Industry standard for cnc applications (tool pathing software, designing/modeling, etc.) is totally different software that your are comparing to windows operating systems.

Your consistent moaning about 2.0 is getting a little old. If you do not want to buy it then do not. I do not care.
    I have made two posts about 2.0 that were not responding to others so you must have me confused with one of the others also complaining or perhaps you are thinking we are all one? When I do post on the forum I am not just speaking to fwharris and others may care. I am through with this thread on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    I think you have yourself confused on this one. Industry standard for cnc applications (tool pathing software, designing/modeling, etc.) is totally different software that your are comparing to windows operating systems.

Your consistent moaning about 2.0 is getting a little old. If you do not want to buy it then do not. I do not care.
    According to the quote you responded to, LHR related their software to proprietary operating systems and the poster was only repeating it. Also, according to the poster, the statement made by LHR at the time they made it was accurate and it is only more recently that LHR's policies toward upgrades has become less like those of the industry that they have chosen to compare themselves to.

If you have a difference of opinion from another poster, I would appreciate seeing the thoughts that anyone has to share. However, I would appreciate if you would refrain from posting if your only purpose is to criticize another poster.

Quote Originally Posted by erick3525 View Post
    As far as CNC conversion for the CW, I see two basic options. 1) Build custom mounts to replace the servos with nema 23 stepper motors. I haven't measured it out and am too lazy to walk to the shop now, but it would probably be a tight fit. Possibly nema 17's would work for the Y or Z axis. 2) Get the pin outs for the servo motors and ratings (maybe LHR would volunteer the info?)
    Interesting. Option 1 sounds like a step backwards to me.

If you have a difference of opinion from another poster, I would appreciate seeing the thoughts that anyone has to share. However, I would appreciate if you would refrain from posting if your only purpose is to criticize another poster.
    Good point and I agree.

gregsolano, please accept my apology regarding my post about your operating system comparisons to CarveWright software. My comment was a bit "grouchy" and critical.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

According to the quote you responded to, LHR related their software to proprietary operating systems and the poster was only repeating it. Also, according to the poster, the statement made by LHR at the time they made it was accurate and it is only more recently that LHR's policies toward upgrades has become less like those of the industry that they have chosen to compare themselves to.

My response to the poster was not only in this thread but to any discussions about 2.0 and his comments made in those discussions. My apology to you and others for doing so.

My point on the comparison of software packages, cnc systems to basic computer systems, was that they are only similar in that they work on computers. They have total different functions and trying to compare how a company chooses to price their software with these comparisons, IMO, is a weak comparison.

We have taken your original discussion off topic and my apology for that as well..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

To get back to original idea, would one not have to put a honking big stepper motor on the x belts? How else would you get the accurate positioning and torque required?

To get back to original idea, would one not have to put a honking big stepper motor on the x belts? How else would you get the accurate positioning and torque required?
    Stepper motors would be an option, but not as clean as just using the original servo motors. The table on my CNC'd mill uses pretty stout nema 23 steppers without gear reduction to drive a heavy slab of cast iron. A machinist's vice outweighs anything a CW would ever see. The original motors I had on the mill were a lot more tame. They worked, but didn't deliver the feed I have now. I think a honking big stepper would wreak havoc on the CW's plastic reduction gear train. Also, the CW uses a lot of gear reduction to accommodate weaker motors and it gives more precision to the movement.

After taking some rough measurements, a nema 23 should fit almost like the X axis motor pocket was intended for it. A Nema 17 would perhaps be more appropriate. The biggest issue I see to driving the X axis is finding the options for getting the correct gear pitch for the motor shaft.

One other upgrade that I would like to consider for an upgrade is the spindle motor. I upgraded the spindle on my mill many years ago to increase my RPM limit from 2k to 12k for micro endmills and I can machine metal at those speeds without significant noise levels. The same approach wouldn't work on the CW, but knocking down the sound would make me happier and more importantly, make my wife happier. I have seen some guys use for homebuilt CNC routers watercooled spindle motors with VFD's and they seem to deliver the power and speeds while producing much less noise. The VFD could be controlled by LinuxCNC as well.

There are a few reasons that I have for entertaining the thought of a LinuxCNC CW. I have quit buying LHR's tooling for my machine. I also have been using tooling sizes and styles that the CW software does not support. This requires that I have to figure out how to trick the CW to let me use the appropriate tooling for the job. I also do not have any way to set appropriate spindle speeds or feed rates for these tasks. My complaint about the proprietary software is that it limits my ability to do stuff like this. At the same time, I understand and respect that the limitations of the software protect users without a machinist background and attempt to deliver the best experience to those of all skill levels.

Now back to the ribbon cables for a second before I have to run. I have had several inquiries and I have just a few cables. My asking price is $15 to cover my original cost to purchase and shipping to me and also to cover shipping to whoever buys any. I prefer PayPal so PM me for availability and email address to send an invoice to and I will try to send them out Saturday. For anyone that does not get one that is interested, they are 24 pin 2.0mm ribbon cables that I purchased on Ebay, but the seller only provided packs of 5.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast