Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extra Long LCD Keypad Ribbon Cables for sale

Default Extra Long LCD Keypad Ribbon Cables for sale

I have reconfigured my Carvewright for what suits me best, and I wanted to relocate the LCD and keypad. Unfortunately, the stock ribbon cable isn't long enough to give many options. I found 1 meter long cables that allowed me to move the LCD and keypad where I wanted. The downside was, I had to purchase a bundle of these cables.

For those of you adventurous enough to make your machine conform to you rather than the other way around, I have a handful of these cables available. Just let me know if anyone is interested.

For me, the Carvewright was a quick turnkey system for woodworking. Prior to this, my workshop has revolved around modifying conventional milling machines for machining metal to CNC. I think most people out there are using their Carvewright as LHR intended, but since I am accustomed to automating machinery to do things that it was never intended to, I do not have much hesitation doing so with the Carvewright. Anyone out there that has or at least given some thought into hacking their Carvewright, I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences to get the most from this tool. Honestly, I am fairly certain that my shop will have a LinuxCNC controlled Franken-Carvewright at some point. Especially if every new "upgrade" LHR releases to be able to use the machine as much as they allow costs as much as it does, switching to the completely FREE non-proprietary software the rest of my shop runs on seems more and more like a no brainer.

Welcome

Being a electronic guy my first thought with the additional length of the data cable for the keypad is possible EMI causing problems. Even spikes of static taking out the communication chips in the controller. With that being said... Interesting concept.... Looking forward to hearing more.

Sure you can run a new controller to each axis and use the encoders so this is possible... Then you have the Board Sensor functions.

And please try to do this without "Kicking the Dog" of LHR's proprietary software upgrade policy. I say that in a nice way... I know I will look forward to seeing your progress. I am a glass half full kind of guy... "Look what I was able to do with my Linux" Is much more impressive than...... "Kicking the dog, I did this because of the LHR upgrade policy"

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I'm also interested in hearing more about this Franken-Carvewright.I've thought about different options but did not do much research..

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Welcome

Being a electronic guy my first thought with the additional length of the data cable for the keypad is possible EMI causing problems. Even spikes of static taking out the communication chips in the controller. With that being said... Interesting concept.... Looking forward to hearing more.

Sure you can run a new controller to each axis and use the encoders so this is possible... Then you have the Board Sensor functions.

And please try to do this without "Kicking the Dog" of LHR's proprietary software upgrade policy. I say that in a nice way... I know I will look forward to seeing your progress. I am a glass half full kind of guy... "Look what I was able to do with my Linux" Is much more impressive than...... "Kicking the dog, I did this because of the LHR upgrade policy"

Good Luck,

AL
    Sorry but I just have to comment, Did any one notice that Apple gave their newest update Maverick away for free? Also Microsoft gave away windows 8.1 for free. All over the internet geek news magazines are saying this is going to be the new norm. I think LHR was late to the starting gate and now may have to backtrack in the future. Not kicking the dog, I love my CW Machines but just commenting that I don't like the new LHR upgrade policy.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/25/5...-for-microsoft

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/fre...ry?id=20656884

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

Comparing CarveWright to Apple and Microsoft... hehe

Besides, 8.1 bricked my laptop, and I had to completely format and restore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallus View Post
    Comparing CarveWright to Apple and Microsoft... hehe

Besides, 8.1 bricked my laptop, and I had to completely format and restore it.
    Yes, the comparison is more than ridiculous! Besides, you could not PAY me to load Win 8 or 8.1 on any of my computers.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Sorry for "kicking the dog". My interest in converting a CW at some point to LinuxCNC is to add functionality and my original and continuing interest in the CW is for a lightweight belt fed CNC with a small footprint. Although mine does not look so much like a CW anymore, I don't intend to mechanically change it too much from original. Designer and the upgrades are a great value for someone with no CNC experience to accomplish what would otherwise be impossible. For me, I don't have much value for entry level user friendly software and want to see functionality on par with what I am used to from robust opensource software. I would not advise the average CW user to break from LHR software. However, I am sure that there are others out there that would rather work with G code than Designer and don't want to deal with continually paying for new features in proprietary software that is below skill level.

As far as CNC conversion for the CW, I see two basic options. 1) Build custom mounts to replace the servos with nema 23 stepper motors. I haven't measured it out and am too lazy to walk to the shop now, but it would probably be a tight fit. Possibly nema 17's would work for the Y or Z axis. 2) Get the pin outs for the servo motors and ratings (maybe LHR would volunteer the info?)

Either way, all CW electronics go, but inexpensive 3 axis driver boards with parallel port connectors for servos or steppers are readily available and inexpensive. Without switching everything back, Designer would no longer be an option. In other words, if you aren't familiar with actual CNC software or do not have the time to learn, best not to try.

As far as any sensors, LinuxCNC is very configurable for inputs. The stock encoders for closed loop op should not be a problem. As far as the board sensor, let's pretend for a second that it is not usable without the other CW electronics. Could zero in a board with any type of edge or center finder, a touch probe, alignment marks in the machine, a roller micro switch with NO or NC contacts on how you decide to set it up, or depending on the exactness required, just eyeball it. The X axis encoder could also be used for a reference. Infrared is another option with more than one way to apply.

At some point I might find a CW for sale with fried electronics for what I am willing to pay and actually do this build. I will do what I can to provide assistance if anyone has a fried CW and wants to give it a shot. Also, if anyone has the initiative to check into the servo pin outs, I would be happy to figure out how to connect it to LinuxCNC. This should really move to a new thread, but it would be cool to have one with conceptually how to do it even if nobody does this build yet.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Yes, the comparison is more than ridiculous! Besides, you could not PAY me to load Win 8 or 8.1 on any of my computers.
    I only brought it up because LHR reps on this forum used microsoft and apple as comparisons when they first announced 2.0. They said paying for upgrades was the industry standard which was the case when 2.0 came out but looks like now the industry standard may be changing. It was not called ridiculous when LHR said it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregsolano View Post
    I only brought it up because LHR reps on this forum used microsoft and apple as comparisons when they first announced 2.0. They said paying for upgrades was the industry standard which was the case when 2.0 came out but looks like now the industry standard may be changing. It was not called ridiculous when LHR said it.
    I think you have yourself confused on this one. Industry standard for cnc applications (tool pathing software, designing/modeling, etc.) is totally different software that your are comparing to windows operating systems.

Your consistent moaning about 2.0 is getting a little old. If you do not want to buy it then do not. I do not care.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I tried to give a thumbs up and on a post got a thumbs down. Then I clicked again and it disappeared. Someone give me a thumbs up.

I tried to post in the Test Forum and it did not show up in new posts. Are we having problems?
    Last edited by bergerud; 10-30-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast