Thread: CW repurposed as a 3D printer?

Default CW repurposed as a 3D printer?

I've developed an interest in 3D printing recently, gained thru the kickstarter Peachy Printer project. As I explored other presently available 3D printers, I saw a likeness, to a large extent, to the structure of the CW. I am not an expert on either the CW, or the 3D printer, but all the positioning hardware of the CW is required of both. The only obvious changes needed to make the CW into a 3D printer would be deletion of the router related parts, to be replaced by the required hardware to feed and melt the print medium (plastic) and a software rewrite. I hope I have stirred some interest in this idea. Please comment.

Sorry if I offended anyone. This post was meant as a mental exercise and not a proposed project. I was simply pointing out the similarities of the two machines.

Well... you can get a 3d printer kit for a couple of hundred dollars and it's tough to find a broken CW for less than $500. The range to print vertically would be extremely limited, not much more than an inch. You would have to reprogram the firmware on the CW. Not sure how you would handle the "hot" plate aspect of the 3d printing process and you would have to figure out how to get your project files in and out of the CW.

I don't know, I guess it could be done but I'm not sure why?

Good luck though.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

I on the other hand don't think the CW would be a good choice... We do not have access to the software for rewrite so that is out... You could design a project in vector possibly.... but we do not even have access to the feed rate....

So in my opinion... It would be a fail.... I have a electronic and servo background...

Sorry... hate to be a kill buzz but this will save you some money...

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I think we are on the same page Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    I on the other hand don't think the CW would be a good choice... We do not have access to the software for rewrite so that is out... You could design a project in vector possibly.... but we do not even have access to the feed rate....

So in my opinion... It would be a fail.... I have a electronic and servo background...

Sorry... hate to be a kill buzz but this will save you some money...

Good Luck,

AL
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Take a look at the vendors for the Maker Faires.
    I saw a 3D printer called "plastic Scribbler" for $499.
    http://www.plasticscribbler.com/
    Designer 1.187 Build 10870
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    3D Pattern Modeling Suite
    Rotary Jig