Thread: A growth chart

Default A growth chart

I made this growth chart for my grandson. It is just a 1x4 and takes less that 30 minutes to make.
    I carved the ruler with a 60 degree vbit set at .07, I think it is a little deep for staining, next run will be .35
    I finished it with Briwax, The letters are outlined rather than the traditional centerline. I havent figured out how to change the depth of cut on centerline text yet, other than tricking the machine to think the board is thicker than it is. But then that would also trick the machine for the rest of the project.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000824.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	65306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000825.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	65307 Thanks for looking.

That is cool. Is it going to be mounted vertical on a wall? Maybe a slide piece to go horizontally from head to ruler. A grandson caliper?

Nice work Carl . This is one for every home with children.

My son had an idea to make it out of 1/2 MDF and just wide enough to fit in a door jamb, specially for apartment dwellers or renters. We are also looking at giraffes, trees, train tracks with Thomas on top.
    I did one with the rules in the center so you can put a kid on each side.

If we personalize with a childs name the cost would go up. I have had someone ask me if I can make it hinged model but I want to avoid that, I love the fact that Carvewright can do it all in one piece.