Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Woodworking Show 2013-14 Season

Since the Denver show is over it looks like I am next man up. Since this is my first show, Will the display be shipped directly to the show grounds or to me? How early do we get to check in to the show to start setting up? Anything else I should know?

dave

Many thanks Floyd,

Pretty much what I was expecting so no surprises in all that. Many thanks for your notes and guidance as always. The problem I was anticipating was projects on the card are unknowns until you turn on the machine that morning and I like to have known samples programed to carve that match the wood pieces (width) I bring to the show. Again will bring my own memory card.

I assume you brought your own table cloths for the extra tables? Is the small table sitting up on the right side long table yours? I use a knock down shelf system for this purpose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	66066 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	66067 March 2013 in Atlanta

I'll do the same as you did and bring tools/supplies/bits on my own just in case again this year because who knows what will be left by the time it all gets to Atlanta in early March.

Did you have to over ride the cover switches to install and use the dust collector shown in your photo? Geee, I wonder what brand that is?????

Good point on the split collet although I normally run 1/2" shank V bits for Vector carving and Centerline lettering.

As always business cards, business cards etc.

Connie, if you're following this can we please get PDF copies of the Show sales-order sheets and pricing in advance to run at Staples/Kinkos when printing is "on sale" rather than doing this at the last minute. This will allow each Start U Member to add their Sales reference number and point of contact information prior to printing copies. Hope you can assist us.

Thank you Floyd you've helped a colleague again and I hope other Show presenters will add to this thread over the months so we'll all know what to expect when we open the crates.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Your welcome Bruce!

Yes knowing what is to be carved from the card does help and always a great idea to set up your own carves based on the blanks you have. I used a sled for my 6x8 pine blanks and used that as a demo for the saving wood on your projects.

For the cover I used 3/16" dowel pieces that were cut to the length of the cover tabs, sanded down on the edges to fit inside the two tabs on the cover. I just used a couple of strips of masking tape to hole the dowels to the cover tabs. The DC-INSERT worked very well with my shop vac attached to a 4x2 1/4 reducer. I did have to clean the shop vac filter (used the included LHR vac that was included with the display).

The table cloths are included with the display pallets. The table included with the display was set up on the end of the table across the machine set up. I also brought one of my tables. I think when I set up again I would put the horse shoe with the opening in the area where the machine is set up to have a larger open area for people to step in and view the carvings. Having a booth on the end of the isle does allow for a better set up and crowd viewing area.

Yes business cards, I bet I handed out close to 200. I think using cards to hand out with the price sheets works well plus you do not have to worry about adding your info on the price sheets.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    Since the Denver show is over it looks like I am next man up. Since this is my first show, Will the display be shipped directly to the show grounds or to me? How early do we get to check in to the show to start setting up? Anything else I should know?

dave
    Dave,

The CarveWright booth set up materials travel from each show to the next will all of the other traveling vendors display items. You should check with the venue that the show will be at to verify when you can get in to set up. You might also be able find out where the CW booth location is. For the Denver show I went in about 10 AM on Thursday to set things up. This being your first show I highly advise you do the same as Friday morning can be a mind boggler. Thursdays is when they start un loading the trucks. They will deliver the pallets right to the booth location. After you get all of the items out of the boxes they will pick up the pallet and empty boxes (leave them on the pallet).
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I used my own memory card in NoCal.

I will send PDFs prior to each show, suggested booth diagram of setup, an inventory list (split collet only item that I know of that is missing, but I didn't need it). Booth includes 2 tables, but I bought a smaller folding table and added it for my show. I didn't have enough room. It is now traveling with the booth.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Good morning Connie, Floyd and Dave,

We really appreciate all your input and how this will help everyone who will be presenting for CarveWright through 2014. Thanks for adding the extra small table and cloths Connie and I guess they will make it back to you in Pasadena the long way around. I'm bringing a great little 3' by 5' folding table picked up at Sam's for the Atlanta Show since Perry's worked well here last year to create the U shape display. (Hi Perry and good luck in Houston)

Additional thoughts
    1. Extra extension cord(s) with multiple plug ends to be able to have everything plugged in at once (CW, laptop, large monitor, vacuum, beer chiller, cell phone charger, iPad etc. etc.) It sure saves time from swapping plugs when you want to be selling instead.
    2. I want to move my PC and large monitor off the CW (right side table) both to cover the outside aisle (left side table) with a looping slide show and mostly to show we are not controlling the CW with the PC when it is carving a demo piece (like other CNCs at the Show). It will also get the electronics away from our dust producer.
    3. I need to carve two business card holders both as carving examples and to keep my cards from getting scattered on the tables. They were my best investment for follow-up well after the Show throughout 2013.
    4. I'll be adding a simple sled to my kit per your suggestion Floyd both to show how guests can save wood and to ensure every demo has a clean edge to ride the brass wheel and stay under the rollers. (Scottish heritage you know)
    5. Clip boards for guests to be able to fill out sales orders and spare pens that work and you don't mind losing.
    6. Connie, if you learn where the Atlanta show venue will be before the WWS site publishes it, any advance word would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the PDFs in advance as well and for everything you and LHR leaders do to make this Show a success for all of us each year.

Dave, we wish you good fortune in January and like Floyd I'll be trying to set up Thursday in advance of my show. We were delayed several hours Friday morning last time waiting for an available forklift operator to bring out our pallet and needed two of us just to get set up in a hurry before the Noon opening. It also helps if you can bring a short step ladder for rigging the banner on the rear wall of the booth area. Not essential but I'll be doing it solo and do not trust standing on a flimsy plastic chair as I get older and wiser. I guess I don't want to be an early test subject for Obamacare.

Thanks again everyone.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW

Thanks for all the input guys. So you get to do actual carves while the show is going on? I figured the machine would be to loud for that to be allowed. Does that mean I need to bring some wood to the show? How much and what sized pieces?

dave

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. So you get to do actual carves while the show is going on? I figured the machine would be to loud for that to be allowed. Does that mean I need to bring some wood to the show? How much and what sized pieces?

dave
    I cut 1x6 pine into 8" lengths (for my sled size). I think I got a 8 footer and did bring some un carved pieces back home. You can carve on both sides if needed and try to set the carves up to be from 10 to 20 minutes, I did a couple of 30 minute ones. You will find, or I did, that you might get through 3 carves in a day as you will be pausing the carve to talk with the people as the step up to see what is going on.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Bruce,

At the complex for the Denver show they had a 4 plex outlet box for the power source. I used a plug strip to run the shop vacs, mine and LHR's, and plugged the Cw into the outlet box. I did bring a extension cord but did not need as there is one in the display box.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Thanks Floyd,

Hope Atlanta will provide similar set up but like last year the booth on the other side of the curtain had to share same plug box so we started off short of outlets.

Do you recall if the extension cord happened to have a multi plug head?

Also a caution note, keep your spare bits and parts in a box out of site or they grow feet (at least at my last show). Had to pursue a visitor down the aisle and ask for the cutting bit he had been admiring before he walked on. May never happen to you but better out of sight.

Dave, I second Floyd's advice on sample wood pieces for cutting at the show. I gave some carvings away to kids with their Dads to take home and paint.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast