Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business name

Default Business name

Well I didn't really know where to put this post but here goes: I'm starting a small business of woodworking and carving (of course) and I'm trying to find a name for my business. If you have any suggestions, that would be great! I've ran out of ideas!

"A chip off the old block" Woodworking

"The Sawdust Factory"

Just my .02 (suggestions)

lawrence

Depending on your state, if you include you name in the Company name it can be easier to get setup for Sales tax. At least in PA, if your name isnt part of the company name (ie, for me Fletcher Computer Solutions and Fletcher Paintball), you have to fill out all the paper for for a fictitious company name. Not saying it is a whole lot more work, but i'm lazy... if i can avoid doing something, I generally try to.

Edit: After i hit submit I noticed you are in an entirely different country... so all of my comments may not apply.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    Well I didn't really know where to put this post but here goes: I'm starting a small business of woodworking and carving (of course) and I'm trying to find a name for my business. If you have any suggestions, that would be great! I've ran out of ideas!
    If you are also going to use social media like facebook, you may want to start your company name with the keyword.

Examples:

"Woodworking by Zan" or "Carved Signs by Zan"
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I would suggest the name of the business be as close to what you want to specialize in as possible. There are several folks on the forum that have incorporated their specialty into their name such as sign making and I think it makes it much clearer and certainly helps anyone searching the web. I have had my business for a long time (longer than the net has been around) and just got into carving, so my biz name is a little generic these days
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

When picking a name, check to make sure the url name is also available, preferably with .net, com. My wife makes quilts and specialtiy fabricc items, so we picked
    "Wood N Spool Treasures". We purchased the domain names: WoodNSpoolTreasures.com, .net and also WoodenspoolTreasures. and WoodAndSpooltreasures. We setup email accounts. I would stay away from having "Craft" in the title as I have found when folks see the word craft they think of hobby, and hobby = cheap or negotiable. We also registered the name with our County (Texas rules) and set up our company as a "DBA" doing business as. We didn't go the way of an LLC, Limited Liability Corporation because we don't make items(we think) that we would get sued over, such as an "Bunk Beds", someone falls out and they sue you. Probably too much information, but I did quite a bit of research this summer on the topic. If you want more information let me know and I would be happy to call you and let you know what else we have done. I was hoping we would be further along in the revenue side, but somehow work keeps getting in the way.

I moved this thread from the MACHINE section to "The Business of Carving" under the CARVOHOLICS section.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

IF you put in your name choice.com with a www in front of it that would show you if it was used... If it is available a word of advice... Be ready to sign up for it at that time. To buy that domain name is only about $6.00 if I remember correct. Get one year to decide... But if you decide on that as your final name then buy it for 5 years as once you get a site up and running search engines ignore you unless you have a 5 year name or better....

And the 2nd Jewel of advice... If you don't buy the name when you do the search and come back the next night... You could find what I did in 2006... I was looking at digitalwoodshop.com and wanted to think about it... Next night someone had already taken it for $6.00 and the place mark page said... "You can have this domain name for $1000.00"..... Someone saw my search?????

I did a search for RetiredNavyChief.com last year and it was given up by someone... I snapped it up.... For future development...

And my AccountabilityTag.com site continues to bring me business.... I show up on page 1 of many searches especially Google....

I am getting ready to go to the post office with some Tag Samples for a $38.4K possible order... wish me luck... That is over 200 CarveWright Projects of sheet stock to tags.... A previous 2010 and 2013 Fire Tag Customer.... Loves my tags...

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I'm lucky there's no sales tax in Oregon.

Wow such great information.......thanks all and good luck Al. Wish I could get an order like that right from the start! And by the way, I'm in Canada and yes we have big time taxes here......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast