Thread: carve tight

Default carve tight

good morning, can I use a 1/2'' shank bit without a collet"

Yes you can - just have a way to keep the measurement the same is you have to change out bits.

Figured I would just comment on this rather than starting a new thread. I am going to order a new machine Monday. Question is; can I use the bit adapters for the 1/2" Rock chuck i have in my current machine in the Carvetight chuck? I'm guessing yes if you can use 1/2" shank bits, but thought I would ask the dumb question anyway haha.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Quote Originally Posted by dehrlich View Post
    Figured I would just comment on this rather than starting a new thread. I am going to order a new machine Monday. Question is; can I use the bit adapters for the 1/2" Rock chuck i have in my current machine in the Carvetight chuck? I'm guessing yes if you can use 1/2" shank bits, but thought I would ask the dumb question anyway haha.
    Just have to watch the height. Or length of the bits.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Someone on the forum mentioned using a .25 & .5 feral that is used for copper compression fittings for spacing on the bits.

I use O rings.

Since the machine is tuned to the Carvetite bits you need to watch the length especially on the 1/8th inch cutting bit. The machine will fault out or stall if the bit hits before it expects it with a CT bit.

I am always looking to buy used Rock Chucks.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by dehrlich View Post
    In the past I have used solid carbide bits with a split collet in the Carvetight chuck and most of the time without any problems. The key word here is MOST of the time. Sometimes the bit will slip in the collet regardless of how tight the bit is tightened. I think LHRs official statement is that it is not recommended. IMHO it is not worth taking a chance and ruining the project. However, with 1/2" shanks there shouldn't any issues.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-06-2014 at 12:32 PM.
    Steve

My trick for setting a bit in the collet adapter is to match the length of a CarveTite bit below the chuck. Then apply 3 or four wraps of common blue masking tape at that point on the bit shaft. It is then thick enough to register on the bottom of the adapter when it is inserted into your CT chuck. But yes some solid carbide bits will slip up or down in a collet adapter so watch them as the parts heat up in use. Better to pause the carving and using a guage made from a scrap of wood, check how much of the bit is exposed below your chuck just for safety's sake.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

I use split set collars to maintain the bit depth insertion into the collet. I got them from McMaster Carr supply in Chicago.