Thread: If the spindle would turn, I would not have to sand near as much!

Default If the spindle would turn, I would not have to sand near as much!

Well, yesterday I turned on my new Carvewright for the first time. Everything went fine (I thought) until I removed the board after the carve. The spindle had not turned on and the bit had actually carved out the pattern in the wood without breaking! I turned the board over and started again with a flashlight on the carving bit but it was not turning! There had not been any sound from the spindle and I was excited that it was so quiet. I put my fingers on the spindle and felt nothing as in what you would feel if you felt an electric motor etc.What to do?!?! I will appreciate any and all help but let it be known that I am not an electrician.

First take the bit out of the machine. Then from the main menu press 0,8 (user tests) and run the cut motor test. Follow the prompts on the screen. You will be asked to insert a board, lower the head and remove the bit.

The cut motor should come on and to stop press any key. I doubt the motor will come on based on what you have posted.

As an FYI during the start carve steps after it tells you to install the bit and you acknowledge that you have, the cut motor is suppose to turn on for a second or two. If not that should tell you something is not right and you should abort the carve and investigate before loosing a bit/board.

Things to check are the wire connections to the cut motor in the far back corner by the cut motor. Connections are tucked into a pocket at the end of the motor. The door switch on the non keyboard end of the machine. The switch is the on/of for the cut motor. Do all checks with the machine unplugged..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

IS the Flex Shaft hooked to the Spindle? Is the CORE of the Flex Shaft Installed? Does the Cut Motor turn on?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks guys. I was at wits end thinking that I was going to have to take it back to LHR before getting to carve a masterpiece. I turned it on this evening and it never missed a beat. I believe that it must have been the right switch that was not making contact because I had noticed that I had installed Floyd's dust collector wrong. I know that is hard to do but I did not follow the directions. Looked up the instructions and installed it correctly and the spindle started up. Imagine that. Just goes to show you that if you follow directions something might just go right the first time.
    I checked the spindles temperature during the carve and it was 105 degrees. Is that good?

Chip,

Great to see you got the problem fixed! Front lip not hooked over lip on the shelf?

The flex shaft might run a bit warm for the first several carves until thing get broke in. Monitor it and the Z truck every 15 minutes or so. As Al would say "pet the snake" (flex shaft) each time you step up to the machine for a quick check.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Floyd, it sounds as if someone else has missed the lip also. We live and learn. At least I have the best accessory for the Carvewright!

Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Floyd, it sounds as if someone else has missed the lip also. We live and learn. At least I have the best accessory for the Carvewright!

Chip
    Well a few have ! Glad you were able to figure it out and thanks!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright