Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor signs and weather proofing.

Default Outdoor signs and weather proofing.

I have a silly question. I am making a couple signs for a preschool. Nothing fancy they will be 6 feet long 4 inches thick and 12 inches wide with the name of the preschool carved into it. It will be mounted on 4x4 post that are 8 feet tall. It's a very simple sign. They want it painted in primary colors.

The painting is where my question comes in. Since I will be using exterior paints I am assuming it will be waterproof. Is that correct or do I need to do anything else to waterproof it?

Thank you very much for any advice.
    Ambrose Stapleton

Modern masters brand paint has a poly clear that will withstand the most harsh environments, it's not cheap but well worth the investment.
    Most folks are afraid of heights, me I fear width.

Marine epoxy. It will outlast the school!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Hi Badbert,

For one living far inland, no real water in sight can you recommend any specific brands of marine epoxy so I can web search and order some samples? I've always tended to top coat with spar varnish over other grades of paint but I'm doing more outdoor signs so I figure I'd better class up my act. Thanks
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

I have had great luck with Latex House Paint on my signs after priming. All punctures in the finish needs to be addressed to prevent water from getting into the back of the finish. The Sign side facing the morning sun will fade faster.

4 inches thick... Careful you don't snap a X Drive Gear... Consider cut out applied letters.

And just ask about a Sign Permit.... If the sign is too big in allowed Square Foot then a after the fact Township Zoning Officer can get ugly... Fines....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Going with what Al said if the weight is going to be too much you could also look at a doing the lettering in a thinner piece of wood and mounting it to a thicker to get you the total thickness that you are looking for.

I've used Epifanes marine varnish with success and have gotten really positive feedback from customers- it also rated REALLY well in a past Fine Woodworking "elements" challenge.
    You really do need to follow the directions on the can though- it's a little different to use (very syrup like)

http://www.amazon.com/Epifanes-Clear...words=epifanes

Lawrence

Thanks for the advice on the protective coatings. I will check to see what we have available locally.

And doing cut letters you are not limited to 14.5 inches wide...

Your local Sign Ordnance may limit the size of the sign to a 4 x 8 sheet... Cutting out letters from a stable stock like PVC Board might be the answer. If you used grained wood you risk splitting.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    I have had great luck with Latex House Paint on my signs after priming. All punctures in the finish needs to be addressed to prevent water from getting into the back of the finish. The Sign side facing the morning sun will fade faster.

4 inches thick... Careful you don't snap a X Drive Gear... Consider cut out applied letters.

And just ask about a Sign Permit.... If the sign is too big in allowed Square Foot then a after the fact Township Zoning Officer can get ugly... Fines....

AL
    All I'm doing is making the sign to their specifications because they said they have already checked into the zoning issues, but since you brought it up I think I will check into it myself, just in case.
    Ive thought about cut out letters but unfortunately they don't seem to last around here. The weather is a huge factor especially the rain and wind storms we have its not uncommon for us to get 100+ mph winds blowing through here during the winter storms.
    My plan is to do a raster carve with the letters inverted, no boarder or anything I should have mentioned that the boards are actually only 3&1/4 inches thick. They sell it as a 4 inch thick board all my one inch boards are 3/4 inch thick. I don't know why or how they can get away with that but its the only lumber yard we have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast