Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting MDF

Default Painting MDF

My friend wants to paint some carvings I made out of MDF.
    She will be using acrylic paints, not ink.
    I'm concerned about the paint absorbing into the fibers, and looking poor.
    I was thinking perhaps she should spray the board with a sanding sealer first, and then paint on top of that.
    Thoughts?

Correct. That's what I do. I use sanding sealer so there is no "bleed" thru. Sometimes after sealer I'll re-sand a little and seal once more. After that I paint and all is good.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

yep, you nailed it- seal, then paint. (priming first with an oil based primer helps too)

I like shellac as a sealer

Lawrence

What brand or brands of Sanding Sealer is recommended? I need to sand some "fuzzies" and then I will be painting/staining some signs made of pine.

I recently posted a topic on this and you can search it out but same basic advice was given. I experimented a bit and used a Latex primer, ModgePodge, and white glue. All seamed to work fine but I ended up using the Latex primer because it gave me a white base to paint on. You probably won't remove all the texture of carved MDF but you can definitely get good results if you are going to paint it. I didn't try the oil-based primer because I couldn't find it in a quart size and I wasn't spending the money on a gallon to buy the ounce that I actually needed for the test. I also didn't try the shellac because my local supplier had stuff that was well over 3 years old sitting on his shelves and it's all expired!

If you are going to stain - no sanding sealer until you have stained unless you're using a gel stain Same goes with just about any sealer you would apply. Any type of absorbing stain ( minwax for the best known ) has to soak into the wood and a sealer will prevent this from happening.
    Last edited by Ton80; 09-05-2013 at 08:20 AM.

I use high fill automotive primer on all of my MDF projects, the stuff is great once it sets up, then it can be sanded as smooth as you want it
    Most folks are afraid of heights, me I fear width.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    I use high fill automotive primer on all of my MDF projects, the stuff is great once it sets up, then it can be sanded as smooth as you want it
    Hi Robert,

Do you have a brand/name/type of the particular auto primer you use? ...and where it can be purchased (AutoZone, Pep Boys, whatever).

I used to use a Dupont-brand auto primer back in the day when I was scratch building radio control planes. I don't recall which one of the Dupont primers though. I used it for prepping fiberglassed foamcore wings. For that application, you sanded ALL of the primer off when dry...it only stayed in the "dips and crevices" and acted as a filler. Yielded a really nice, smooth surface for final painting.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Here is what I use, you can get it pretty much any hardware store.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378693433.267264.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	64516
    Most folks are afraid of heights, me I fear width.

Thank you! That will be easy to find, sure enough!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Going to bump this one...for the edges of mdf, sanding sealer or latex primer as well?
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast