Thread: Goruping changes my puffing and merge

Default Goruping changes my puffing and merge

Every time I puff a shape with merge subtractive and group the whole design to make a pattern, my merge doesn't show as subtractive anymore, even in the pattern editor. Is there anything I can do?

make sure you group things appropriately, then turn individual parts into patterns. You can then place the pattern and control depths individually more easily (I think this is what you are trying to accomplish)

Hope this helps,
    Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    Every time I puff a shape with merge subtractive and group the whole design to make a pattern, my merge doesn't show as subtractive anymore, even in the pattern editor. Is there anything I can do?
    Are you saying that when you group the patterns together, the puff changes? Can you post an example mpc?

Wild guess. Invert pattern.
    thanks so much!
    karl

I think I may get what you are saying.

Let's say we have overlapping carve regions A,B,and C. A is made to be merge subtractive and so subtracts from B and C. If I group A and B together, A still subtracts from B but no longer subtracts form C. (If you put C into the group A will again subtract from it.) The merge and clip properties of objects in a group are confined to the group. Once grouped, these properties do not operate on objects outside the group.

If this is your problem, I do not see anything you can do. The subtraction properties of the puff region are lost to the outside when it is grouped. You may have to find another way to do what you are trying to do.

and group the whole design to make a pattern
    thats the rub... try to make pattern in steps one at a time then combine.

Well like Bergerud said, that is the problem........I will have to make separate patterns to complete the whole design like I want it I guess..........sucks! I have tried many 2d and 3d software and CW is far behind I must admit. I'm really planning on buying Aspire. If you have better suggestions, please let me know!