Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z Stall 06-313

Angry Z Stall 06-313

Doorbell Cover.mpc

I have a mpc that I'm trying to carve and can't seem to get passed the initial measuring stage to start my carve. The project seems fairly simple. I have a friend that wants to cover up his door bell with a sign so people won't ring his doorbell (renting an apartment). His dogs go crazy when bell rings and solicitors are always coming by.
    Anyway, we figured that the back pocket of the sign would need to be about 3/4" deep so it would go over the door bell switch. I believe I've done it right and looks OK to me. The front side, I just made a simple "Welcome to our Home" text. Didn't want it to be a square sign so I redesigned it a little to cut out later with a band saw.
    I have a 19" board that's 1" thick and 6 1/4 wide. I used the Al Who "method" masking tape (as always). I center the project, say no to rollers and it measures length of board fine. When it starts to measure the width the bit goes down on the pad side, then touches the board, then goes back to pad side, then goes to edge (width) of board. Goes down once, moves over & goes down and stays down.... z stall... Any recommendations? Board appears fine, flat and straight. The board is oak so it's heavier than what I usually use, but then I've never really carved a 1" board either. I usually carve on 3/4" from HD or LOWES. This one is thicker just so it will cover that door bell switch. Could it be that the edge of the board is not completely smooth? It's still straight from what I can see, just doesn't appear to be a smooth cut along that edge. Here's the mpc... Thanks... "mi familia".
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

If I remember, that behavior of stalling at on the sliding plate was caused by the "drilled hole" in the tracking plate. The bit goes down too far on the pad side (into the hole) and then stalls on the plate side. Look for the hole next to the brass roller.

Here is a post and some pictures by Smoken D

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...653#post142653

What version of Designer are you using?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I'm using 1.87
    Connie I was also planning on sending you an email cause it's my CW (under warranty)& has started air carving again. I have an old file I got from you a while back to reset my CW. I used it again and reset all & then reloaded 1.87. Loaded fine, but still air carves for first 5-6 swipes before making contact on the board. you think that might have something t do with it? I haven't manually recalibrated CW with document yet cause maybe I should wait to get another "reset" file first? I'll wait til I hear something from you first. Tnx.

Same file should work. Doesn't make sense to me to loose calibration. Run manual as well.

OK... I'll try the manual calibration. I also checked and the pad side "cross hair" is fine and has no drill marks whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Same file should work. Doesn't make sense to me to loose calibration. Run manual as well.

Raster with feather always starts above. Vector would be the issue.

Actually that particular mpc does have feather and raster carving. However, I did notice that when I carved another plaque and used centerline text, it was also air carving when I first placed the V60 bit in. As soon as I saw it begin to carve the first letter as "air carve" I paused the CW and manually moved the bit down the adapter about 1/8" and it then started carving the letter on the board.

Check your z-belt.

Do a square inch at .250 depth and then measure.

Call a hardware tech at 713-473-6572.

It should not be loosing it's calibration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast