Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Octopus

1. Default

Hi Dave,
    My name is Lori Wellington from Spring Hill, Fl and I also have a carvewright machine, I have a couple of questions for you. I also looked you up in Skype and sent a request thru there also. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks
    Loriblackdog

I love those types of projects. Awesome!

Hi Lori,
    what can I help you with?

4. Red face

Hi Dave,
    I am trying to complete a nautical theme on my back porch, and wanted to carve the attached so it comes out like a stencil that I can paint, myself. I have been trying to get advise, however they usually do it for me, which doesn't help me as I still don't know how to set it up. I was wondering if you could show me how and what you did to get your octopus? I appreciate any help you can send my way.3turtles.mpc
    I thank you in advance and appreciate any help.

Loriblackdog

Quote Originally Posted by Loriblackdog View Post
    Hi Dave,
    I am trying to complete a nautical theme on my back porch, and wanted to carve the attached so it comes out like a stencil that I can paint, myself. I have been trying to get advise, however they usually do it for me, which doesn't help me as I still don't know how to set it up. I was wondering if you could show me how and what you did to get your octopus? I appreciate any help you can send my way.3turtles.mpc

Loriblackdog
    Lori you need the STL software to be able to do that what he did or the 3D you have to update
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Quote Originally Posted by Loriblackdog View Post
    Hi Dave,

Loriblackdog

Can you post the original picture you made the pattern from? To make a stencil, you would have to trace the different parts of the picture so you can make cutouts.

Hi Lori,

I started with a 3D model file and used the STL Importer tool as henry1 stated previously. There are a couple of ways to go:

1) Trace a path round the pieces of the image you want to carve out to be the stencil. You can do this in the Carvewright software using the segment tool set.
    2) Use a software program such as Inkscape or GIMP ( They are free and duplicate a lot of Photoshop features and functions unless you have Adobe software to help)) and use tools in that to manipulate the image into the stencil you want. You should be able to import that as a pattern and go from there. If you have the DXF import software you can export your image form these software packages into a file DXF can read easily.

Both wil take a long time to do. Even longer if you are not familiar with the graphics tools like Inkscape.

Hope that helps

8. Default

Hi! Really cool work. I would like to experiment with this octopus. Can you send me your design? Thanks for the inspiration either way.

Hi!
    the STL file can be downloaded from here. This was the source of my carve..

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:7900

Post some pictures if you get a good carve. I got distracted by other stuff. Might have go back and try again.

10. Default

Thanks for the link. I definitely will!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12