Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: carving centerline

I dont know dan. I have never done that nor did I know you could. Sounds the same?
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Quote Originally Posted by chebytrk View Post
    Sure wish there was a way that we could set the depth in Centerline.
    The reason that there is no such option is that Centerline automagically sets the depth of the bit to get the desired width of cut. With a 90 degree v bit, to get a 1/4" wide cut, the depth must be exactly 1/8". You can't go deeper without going wider.

I'm trying to make text with a height about 1/4" or maybe even 1/8" without carving it too deep.
    If you cut a 1/8" tall letter with the 90 degree v bit, the width of the cut is going to be only a fraction of the letter height - something like 1/64" I imagine. So the depth will be 1/128". How much shallower are you trying to go?

I'm trying to carve letters approximately the size of a name plate that a store employee would wear. Most of those are made on plastic name tags. I've started to get more and more orders for making plaques and I'm trying to avoid using another person with a laser engraver to make the name plates for me. Just trying to do it all myself if I can. I was hoping to try and find a way to use the smaller Vbit to make smaller text.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    The reason that there is no such option is that Centerline automagically sets the depth of the bit to get the desired width of cut. With a 90 degree v bit, to get a 1/4" wide cut, the depth must be exactly 1/8". You can't go deeper without going wider.

If you cut a 1/8" tall letter with the 90 degree v bit, the width of the cut is going to be only a fraction of the letter height - something like 1/64" I imagine. So the depth will be 1/128". How much shallower are you trying to go?
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

I have used an 1/8th 22 degree vbit for fine lines. Used the setting as if it were the carving bit in designer, from there you could set the depth. I was more worried about the speed and feed rate. If you go into Designer you can pick a 1/8" straight bit for centerline text, at a 1/2" height in text it shows the depth of cut to be .062. Not sure why an 1/8" 22 degree bit won't work,haven't tried it. Burning up the plastic would be a higher concern to me. Greg

Not quite sure I understand. I created a text line using centerline on a board. I selected the 1/8 bit and can't make any adjustments to depth & I also don't see any where that it shows .062 to be the default set depth. I don't see the depth in the "select bit" menu.

Quote Originally Posted by gsdsj View Post
    I have used an 1/8th 22 degree vbit for fine lines. Used the setting as if it were the carving bit in designer, from there you could set the depth. I was more worried about the speed and feed rate. If you go into Designer you can pick a 1/8" straight bit for centerline text, at a 1/2" height in text it shows the depth of cut to be .062. Not sure why an 1/8" 22 degree bit won't work,haven't tried it. Burning up the plastic would be a higher concern to me. Greg

In centerline you cannot set the depth, scroll over the lettering and it will show the depth at the bottom left of the screen.

Not quite sure I understand. I created a text line using centerline on a board. I selected the 1/8 bit and can't make any adjustments to depth & I also don't see any where that it shows .062 to be the default set depth. I don't see the depth in the "select bit" menu.
    He didn't say that he used centerline. He said "I have used an 1/8th 22 degree vbit for fine lines."

Why do you need to use a smaller v bit? Why wouldn't the 60 degree bit work?

OK.. so here are a couple of plaques that I made a while back (approx 12x12x3/4). Carvings turned out fine and I had someone else make the plastic info add ons. As you can see the lettering in those what I call "name plates" is much smaller. Since then I've made more plaques and needing more name plates. I'm just trying to see if I can make text smaller & not as deep as the V60 (or maybe even the V90). I figured there might be a way to make smaller text using a V22 and not going as deep as the basic Vbits that we all have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-04-28 15.56.28-1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	65549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-04-28 15.56.52-1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	65550

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    He didn't say that he used centerline. He said "I have used an 1/8th 22 degree vbit for fine lines."

Why do you need to use a smaller v bit? Why wouldn't the 60 degree bit work?

I believe the V60 works pretty well for smaller lettering (especially when not bolded). I finished this board for a client in NYC 2 weeks ago. It is 12" by 14" and has some small print she wanted. It came out quite legible, I believe and the client was very happy.

Name:	Kara Cutting Board.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	349.8 KB 
ID:	65551
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

I'm just trying to see if I can make text smaller & not as deep as the V60 (or maybe even the V90). I figured there might be a way to make smaller text using a V22 and not going as deep as the basic Vbits that we all have.
    For any given width of the stroke of a letter, the 90-degree v bit will cut shallower than the 60-degree bit. The 60 will cut deeper. If there were an option for a V22, it would cut deeper still. If you want to cut shallower, select a narrow stroke and use the 90 degree v bit.

Name:	vbits.PNG 
Views:	29 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	65552

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast