Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC Jamboree - Fall 2013 at Long Lake Park

1. Default CNC Jamboree - Fall 2013 at Long Lake Park

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Captures-009.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	64131Digital Fabber Magazine & Community is proud to announce the 2nd Annual CNC Jamboree.

The 2nd Annual CNC Jamboree will be held at Long Lake Park Campground, Lakeville, Ohio the weekend of September 20th, 21st and 22nd. We will have classroom training all day Friday, Saturday and 'Shop Day' Sunday. As requested, we have added Sunday to the schedule for this years event ... on Sunday we will be making projects, sharing techniques, demoing machines and sharing all manner of closely guarded secrets.

The cost of this event will be $225.00 per person (this includes training, your lunches, FREE patterns, all the fun you can stand, give aways and more) registration at the door will be $275.00 per person and may be paid with cash or credit card only, NO CHECKS PLEASE - this does not include any accommodations or any items offered by our presenters or vendors.

Testimonial ... "I learned a ton last year and am looking forward to even greater exchange of information this year. The food was great, the people were awesome and the campground makes for a very relaxing setting." Scott Smith

What is a CNC Jamboree? We started out like a lot of you as hobbyist CNCers and in time became very serious about the craft, art, use and function of CNC equipment. Our goal here at CNC Jamboree is to offer affordable and valuable training to everyone. To share new hardware and software and introduce you to patterns & projects that will blow your mind. We will also share machine demos that will help you realize what a finely tuned and maintained CNC machine is capable of. The sky is no longer the limit.

What is a CNC Machine? Well you can use all kinds of techno jargon when it comes to this, but we choose to stay away from that and just say it like this. CNC is any device that is controlled by a computer. It could be a router, a laser, and embroidery machine, a long arm quilter (the list really does go on forever) … any number of things fit into this category.

Who can benefit from a CNC Jamboree? Anyone … In today's World CNC has become very affordable to hobbyists, artists, co-ops and small woodworking shops, it is on longer limited to large production facilities. The piece that was missing ... affordable training, we intend to fill that void, our training will appeal to novice as well as expert users.

We know that the initial cost can be low and people sometimes get caught up in the excitement of just taking a machine home and they leave it captive in the box (you people know who you are) we intend to empower you with the knowledge required to make worthwhile projects, to set your machine and your imagination free, to feel the power of creativity and unleash it onto the World.

Visit the event site to learn more and register now ... www.CncJamboree.com you may direct any question to Jason Allen at 309-232-9663

2. Default Classes presented by CarveWrights own Joe Lovchik

Joe Lovchik, CarveWright (LHR Technologies)

Joe Lovchik has spent his whole life creating things. His artistic talent was discovered at a very young age as he was always drawing pictures and, even today, it is rare not to find a sketch of something on his desk that he has mindlessly doodled. Joe's passion for art led him to earn a Bachelors of Fine Arts degree from Wichita State University. During his early years in college, Joe worked as an art director for a major sportswear company where he gained knowledge in industry marketing and brand management. His career was further expanded as he spent the next 10 years working as Art Director for advertising agencies specializing in brand development. One such brand was a side project for his brother Chris, the inventor of a new personal-sized CNC now known as the CarveWright System.

Eventually persuaded to move to Texas, Joe became the Marketing Director for CarveWright. Since joining LHR full-time in 2007, he has played several key roles in its growth including development of the company website, marketing and sales materials, creation of learning tools, videos and tutorials, and conceptualization of new product development. His knowledge and expertise in graphics software has allowed him to help guide the software developers in their advancement of the CarveWright software. Using these resources, Joe has become the expert for CarveWright Systems.

Class titles include ...

Designer 101 - Part One
    Starting with the basics of designing projects
    Presented by: Joe Lovchick, CarveWright

Basic CW Maintenance
    Keeping your machine running at Peak performance

CarveWright Import & Export
    Scanning Probe and Pattern Editor Software
    Setting up a Scan
    How do I get the scan into the Pattern Editor?
    Overview of the Pattern Editor Software.

Designer 2 - Beginner
    What's New

and others ... check out the officially event site to learn more at www.CncJamboree.com

3. Default Classes by Michael Tyler, CarveBuddy

Michael enjoys the use of both traditional and contemporary Creative Arts mediums. A background in music led him to a career as a Music Technology consultant when computers were just beginning to be utilized for music composition, recording and publishing. In 1987, he founded one of the first mail-order music software and hardware companies in the country. All the while, his side interests included designing and building stained glass windows and lamps, deep relief sandblasting (in glass) and woodworking, to mention a few.

In January 2007, Michael added a new tool to his workshop - a CarveWright/CompuCarve CNC machine. He quickly developed a fascination for the creative potential this technology held and resolved to make the most of it.

By April of 2007, Michael founded the CarveBuddy company to offer products and resources to others with similar interests. In December 2010, a ShopBot Buddy PRS Alpha BT48 was added to Michael's workshop alongside his two CarveWright machines.

What began as a casual hobby has grown into a full-time business, working with companies such as CarveWright, Vectric Ltd., ShopBot, Vector Art 3D, independent antique dealers, cabinet shops and more. Michael has produced hundreds of digital relief models, CNC woodworking projects and a host of informational materials for the enjoyment of CNC owners worldwide.

WE have added three classes that may interest you ...

Overview of V-Carve Pro and Aspire
    The features of the Vectric software suite through the eyes of Michael Tyler.
    Presented by: Michael Tyler, CarveBuddy

Fun & Fabulous Faux Finishing - Part 1
    Glazing and Graining

Fun & Fabulous Faux Finishing - Part 2
    Metallics, Textures and Grunging

Anyone that has seen Michael's work will know that these classes are going to be awesome. Learn more at the officially event website www.CncJamboree.com.

I think we have all seen examples of Michael's work, but for anyone that hasn't there are samples below.

Name:	orhithological-abode.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	64133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	project-image.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	64134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tgc-montage.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	64135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vectricon-chroniker.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	64136

4. Default Pics from last years CNC Jamboree

Name:	6bedca285421468088a9d4cbec568e99.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	801.6 KB 
ID:	64138 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8d5a575f70284cbb8f4d0aa5faa3a16a.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	1,012.7 KB 
ID:	64139 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	848f8f8aa71d433abc202ea8757b0af8.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	807.9 KB 
ID:	64140 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5954023487614c45a0c43f533872d5a8.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	993.5 KB 
ID:	64141 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a4fa18635143486b9724e9ce123478ac.JPG 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	64142 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b353529e9fa941c38d4a2d8417fa8003.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	64143 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d90e24a9a7eb4c4f8ced91cde0c785e1.JPG 
Size:	647.7 KB 
ID:	64144
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5bb27dff232c4c61a96c2d24156eab33.JPG  

5. Default CNC Jamboree: An Enlightening Event

Published on Thursday, 20 December 2012 23:58
    Written by LindseyElza (Lindsey Elza)

A recap of the First Annual CNC Jamboree from a Digital Fabber Newbie.

As some of you may know, one of the initial pushing off points for Digital Fabber Magazine was the CNC Jamboree that happened the last weekend of this past September. The successful, two-day event held at Long Lake Park Campground, near Loudonville, Ohio, was the first of its kind; but, will hopefully be the grandfather for many more to come. During the event, we formed a valuable network of CNC users, exchanged new and challenging ideas on CNC technology, and for some of us, learned just what it was that we were getting into.

The limited knowledge I had of CNC machines prior to this weekend came primarily from school. In order to save time, professors encouraged us to use the laser cutter, plotter, and automated router. I tried to stay as far away from the shop as possible, preferring time in the computer lab where I assumed I couldn’t loose a finger or get a woodchip in my eye. Thus, when I was invited to the group, I was lured in with the promise of “steam punk” attire and graphics classes, not wood sculptures and 3D creation.
    As the weekend drew near, I was able to convince my father to come with me. Using my meager database on CNC technology, I tried explaining it to him, “It’s a machine that you can carve pictures and signs and Christmas ornaments on.” Therefore, as the two of us set out on our eight hour drive, we were headed to event that neither of us understood the slightest about.
    The nearer we got to the destination, the more phenomenal our drive became. The part of Ohio where the Jamboree was located is amazing. The campground is in the middle of gorgeous countryside with rolling green fields and some of the most beautiful architecture I have ever seen. Dad and I concluded that had the Jamboree been awful, the drive itself was completely worth it.

Pulling off the main road and onto a bumpy, little, county lane, we entered one of the largest campgrounds I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. I’m used to seeing the parks in the south that are inhabited for most of the year, where they have their cute gardens, outdoor kitchens, golf carts and pink flamingos. However, I never imagined that such places existed in Ohio, as well. Stunning, quiet, and calm, it surrounded a huge lake. The whole campground felt serine and peaceful; it was the perfect setting for creating.

Nestled on the lake shore, the clubhouse was where a majority of the weekend’s meetings would take place. When I entered the room, I gave my awkward hellos, knowing a total of three people in the room - one of which I had just spent eight hours with in a car. As introductions were made, it became apparent that people from all walks of life were in attendance. There were seasoned veterans touching up on their craft, high school boys interested in designing guitars, men and women, women who just came with their husbands and then those who, like my dad, just came with their daughters. Several lived in Ohio; however, there were others who had traveled from as a far away as Washington state. Most owned CNC machines - some of them had very expensive machines, some had very old machines, and some had built their machines from scratch. The diversity of the room was great and later it proved very interesting as ideas were exchanged and tales told.

None other than Wayne Sutter, president of Woodline.com, gave the hour and a half long introduction. Upon first glance, then second and probably third, he appears to be a bit of a CNC guru. He discussed stepper motors, software, CNC building, tearing the machines apart, and how to convince your Great Uncle Bruce that he needs one! His presentation proved to be a weekend overview and set the tone for what was in store. When Wayne finished, and we all had a brief break, I looked over at my father to ask if he was at all bored. However, the man sitting beside me did not have the face of one who was entering the first stages of catatonic boredom; rather, his eyes were glazed over and a small smile was twitching the corner of his lips. He quickly hushed my babble and told me to hurry or else we would miss Wayne’s lecture in the other building. He was hooked.

My father and I spent the rest of the day in the maintenance building. Do not be fooled by the term “maintenance building.” It is, in fact, a wood shop of the most magnificent scale, where Dough Hawkins - co-owner of the campground, happens to park his lawnmower. I thought my dad was going to cry. Actually, that was the response most people had when they entered this sanctuary of woodworking. Inside was showcased Jason’s work trailer, which is the rolling workshop for his business. Also on display, were several pieces that he had produced from working with his CarveWright, including some gorgeous Frank Lloyd Wright inspired cabinet doors that I’ve always considered stealing. The (home built cnc) machine that Michael had built was also there, along with several CNC machine variations that (were brought to share).

In the wood shop, Wayne led a discussion on how to build and program your own CNC machine; while, in the clubhouse, Michael conducted an actual build. Michael’s machine affectionately won the title of Garage Band CNC. If that’s the case, then Wayne’s could have been the Stark Enterprises machine. It wasn’t long before Wayne’s discussion of Mach 3 programming began to go way over my head. I think it was mainly due to my inability to understand and small attention span; looking around the others were latched onto every word he said and nodding vigorously. I
    probably should have returned to the clubhouse. There, Michael, before beginning his build, was demonstrating art creation software such as Illustrator, Photoshop, MOI, Blender, etc.

Name:	848f8f8aa71d433abc202ea8757b0af8.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	807.9 KB 
ID:	64148All in all, Friday wrapped up as an enormous success. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not booking a cabin in the campground. So, my father and I headed back to our hotel in Wooster, OH. Those smart enough to stay onsite, partied the rest of the evening - eating delicious food, hanging out around the campfire, and telling their best stories. I don’t know what all went on that night, but I heard it was great fun.

Saturday was an excellent end to the Jamboree even though it left everyone wanting more. Michael and Wayne both continued their projects from the previous day, while several other speakers and demonstrators shared the
    ir knowledge base.

Joe Lovchick, marketing director for CarveWright, also took the stage several times during the weekend and walked those in attendance through CarveWright’s Designer software. He gave a fairly in-depth introduction to the program, and showed how to design a project from the beginning. Due to my graphics appreciation, this was one of my weekend highlights. I got in on the last part of his discussion during which he took an image of a fighter jet plane, imported it, and began creating a cutting template for his machine. It made me want to become a professional pattern designer.

Name:	user7287_pic522_1376206244.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	64146For me, the icing on the weekend’s cake, was when Randy Johnson, editor of Woodworker Magazine took the stage. When he walked to the front of the room, a hushed silence of anticipation stole over the audience. He guided the audience through his experience with CNC machines and his enthusiasm for them was contagious. The projects he showed us opened up new possibilities in CNC use that many there had never thought possible. For the first time, I really began to see how phenomenal CNC machines are. I am sure that moment came sooner during the weekend for others. For my father, it was probably during Wayne’s introduction; but for me, this was the moment. He showed us bowls and boxes and ornaments and trinkets galore! He even gave us a sneak peak of his newest project that wouldn’t be available to the public till his next publication!

Once Randy left the audience in a speechless, CNC daze, the whole group headed back to the wood shop. We were able to ask any recap questions from the previous discussions and talk one-on-one with those who had given presentations. We had hands-on investigation of the machines and objects produced by them. Randy began working with a Shopbot, Michael woke up his machine and did demos on it, and Joe started two CarveWright projects. It was a great way to sum up the weekend and allowed those of us with a little less practice, to see the machines in action.

The CNC Jamboree was a fantastic experience, and well worth the long trip to Ohio. While I may not be an expert on CNC machines now, I feel savvy enough concerning them to strike up a good conversation. It helped connect a group of individuals from all walks of life and all corners of the continent with a common interest so that they could share ideas, issues, and work. It also gave a great insider’s look from pioneers in the field of CNC use. I am super excited about next year’s Jamboree, which I know will be bigger and better!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f6795981caed45f3bc934cfa2678f5ad.JPG   user7287_pic554_1376206935.jpg  

6. Default Few more pics.

Name:	user7287_pic518_1376206178.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	64149 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user7287_pic521_1376206244.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	64150 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user7287_pic522_1376206244.jpg 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	64151 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user7287_pic525_1376206285.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	64152 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user7287_pic529_1376206378.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	64153 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user7287_pic542_1376206812.jpg 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	64154 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user7287_pic554_1376206935.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	64155

7. Default Give Away at CNC Jamboree

Name:	cnc_mini_projects_giveaway.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	64246 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rose Tiles - Broken - Example.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	64247 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western Saloon No.1 - Example - 01.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	64248

Give Away at CNC Jamboree: Each CNC'ed USB Drive Box will contain a USB drive with a free mini-project pre-loaded. The mini Project will be the same project that was used to create the top of the box. On the drive that is in the box with the boot there will be the "Western Saloon" mini-project and on the box with the "Rose" will have the "Rose Tile" mini-project. Value $25.00 (unlimited possibilities)
    http://cncminiprojects.com/

8. Default

If you are looking for accommodations for this event try this link http://www.hotelplanner.com/zip/Lake...otels-in-44638. I use Hotels.com often and I have had good luck with that.

9. Default

Everyone that attends the Cnc Jamboree will receive ...
    A Box Project by www.CarveBuddy.com Value = $129.00

CarveBuddy is dedicated to providing fellow carvers using CNC woodcarving machines with helpful resources to make your experience with these machines more enjoyable and productive.

We utilize various techniques and technology to create a variety of unique 3-D patterns and projects for your enjoyment. We are continually working on bringing you new high-quality patterns and projects to choose from!

Feel free to browse through our selection of unique and useful patterns and be sure to check out our "FREE STUFF" section! All patterns on the CarveBuddy website are available as downloadable files, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for your convenience.

CarveBuddy is family owned and operated with a commitment to quality and integrity, striving to ensure that every visitor to our site feels they are well served!

screenshots of the box design by Michael Tyler/CarveBuddy

10. Default

EVERYONE WILL RECEIVE ...
    All of the PowerPoint, Build Notes, and PDFs used in the Presentations. Value = PRICELESS

EVERYONE WILL RECEIVE ...
    A $50 credit in the Pattern section of the Digital Fabber Store located at www.DigitalFabber.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast