Thread: Fix A Cupped Board

Default Fix A Cupped Board

Ok Ive been working on project on and off for awhile now
    and I finally got the backer glued on. Well I noticed it cupped
    on me and I'm trying to figure a way to save the project.
    6 hour carved Any idears?

Thanks,
    Jim
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

It will take some time, but…

You can take the cupped board (depending on how cupped it is) and wet it with plain water and then put it between two pieces of larger wood and slowly clamp it back flat, do that a couple of times (wet it and clamp it), each time you clamp it make the clamps a little tighter. Slowly it will straighten out.

Just don’t clamp it too tight the first couple of times, or it might crack the cupped board.

(Some have mixed vinegar with the water, which helps, but depends on the kind of wood, some wood gets stained/lightened by vinegar.)

I've gotten away with just weighting the board flat on the floor over night, but if you glue it must be done before it drys.
    thanks so much!
    karl

Quote Originally Posted by gashawk View Post
    I've gotten away with just weighting the board flat on the floor over night, but if you glue it must be done before it drys.

It happened after it was glued and dried

I will give it a shot, the wood is Poplar. I have to carve some spindles anyways
    I saw on Youtube where they used a planer but I really didn't want to do that

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PCOutlaw View Post
    It will take some time, but…

You can take the cupped board (depending on how cupped it is) and wet it with plain water and then put it between two pieces of larger wood and slowly clamp it back flat, do that a couple of times (wet it and clamp it), each time you clamp it make the clamps a little tighter. Slowly it will straighten out.

Just don’t clamp it too tight the first couple of times, or it might crack the cupped board.

(Some have mixed vinegar with the water, which helps, but depends on the kind of wood, some wood gets stained/lightened by vinegar.)

You can add heat to the one side it will pull back. Use a small heater. Works for me