Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grounding

Default Grounding

I've never had problems using a vacuum during carving and havenever gounded it. However this last week wen I was vaccuuming
    after a carve ( the machine was shut off), I was getting a mild shock from the vaccum to the the machine.

This led me to wonder why the machines do not come with a 3 prong plug to ground?

Is there any harm in grounding the Chassis?
    Carwright "A" machine
    carvetight spindle
    Heavy duty Traction Belts
    Designer 1.187
    Homemade CNC machine
    Homemade 3-d printer

I agree with you, don`t any type of dust collector but I always vacuum 2 or 3 times during the carving. I was even thinking about rubbing the machine with dryer sheets.

No not vacuum out the machine while it is on. You can zap your controller.

From manual:

WARNING: Always unplug machine before attempting any
    troubleshooting or maintenance on the machine.

GROUND ALL TOOLS. When using an external dust collection system or vacuum make
    sure to use only grounded equipment to reduce the risk that harmful static electricity will
    accumulate due to the air flow.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Were you grounding yourself (one hand touching a metal surface) to the machine while vacuuming it out? If not then you were getting a static discharge from the shop vac hose to either you or the machine. Been there done that...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

The type of vacuum hose can also make a big difference- high end "anti static" hoses such as the ones made by festool have worked well for me in the past (yes, they are pricy, mine came with my vacuum though)

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-452884.../dp/B002ZCIK08

Lawrence

If you go back to 2007 someone answered the question as to why NOT a 3 prong plug... The answer was something to the effect of the first units had a 3 prong plug but during the UL Underwriters Lab Certification "they" wanted it to have a 2 prong plug... At least that is what someone, a USER, posted here that at the time worked at the UL Lab but not on the CW Project. Being a Electronic Guy it caught my attention...

LHR did not comment at the time...

And the Better Quality Vacuum Hoses have more Conductive Carbon and LESS Plastic, hence, static dissipation.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Seems like it was UL related, but I'm not sure how exactly.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

But is there any disadvantage to changing the 2prong plug to a 3prong plug and using the Chassis as the ground?
    Carwright "A" machine
    carvetight spindle
    Heavy duty Traction Belts
    Designer 1.187
    Homemade CNC machine
    Homemade 3-d printer

Well, i am willing to do anything right now that will make sure I do not have anymore breaks. I wounded if I ran a wire from the dust collector to the machine? Or should both be on a central ground. I always make sure I touch the chaise before I put in my hand or tool, knocking off any static charge. Well to cold to do carving today ;(
    Carvewright A machine 2007
    Carvewright C machine 2013 DC-Insert
    Mavric iMac i7 16gig latest version
    Designer 1.187, Designer 2.04, Centerline Text, Conforming Vectors, STL importer, DFX importer, Pattern Editor and probe

Quote Originally Posted by peep View Post
    Well, i am willing to do anything right now that will make sure I do not have anymore breaks. I wounded if I ran a wire from the dust collector to the machine? Or should both be on a central ground. I always make sure I touch the chaise before I put in my hand or tool, knocking off any static charge. Well to cold to do carving today ;(
    If you are asking should you run a wire from the dust collector up to the CW? If so , yes. I run my ground lead from my ground terminal to the dust collector frame then wrap around the hose going to the CW and attach the wire to the metal frame of the CW.

Sounds like your back up north, enjoy the cool!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast