Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just finishing up. Need an opinion.

Default Just finishing up. Need an opinion.

I am just finishing up this for my Daughter. Realizing that I am very new to painting so easy on that part..haha. I have two things I would like an opinion on.

1.) She asked of I could add key holder hooks to this or would it look funny? I think you could but they would have to go inside where the feather and the background meet. Not enough edge to do it right. Opinions?

2.) There is a carved lip around the hearts. Should I highlight them with paint and what color?

Here is the Project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130804_102727.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	63897

Thanks in advance

Dave
    The Magic of making Sawdust.

I think your painting skills are pretty darn good, Dave. I like the color choices and how you have highlighted features. I believe that key hooks would work alright and agree they would need to be where the feather meets the background. I also see some advantage to highlighting the exterior of the hearts. My first thought would be a gold color, but I am sure there are better eyes than mine for a good color choice and I would defer to them...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Very nice. Good painting skills!

Dave,

Great job sir! Do not under rate your painting skills, you must of had a great coach !

I would either go with the same color you have on the text or the white on the glasses. For the key hooks it would depend on if you can find some long enough to extend beyond the carve region and enough thickness in the region for the screw threads. It looks like you might still have enough edge though to put them there also. Of course if she wants a key holder you could always carve another one just for that purpose...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Great job! I like it a lot

If I were doing it, I'd add a small board onto the bottom edge and put key hooks into that. This way they can use it as a key holder now and if they ever decide to use it for something else they can just take off the little piece on the bottom and there wouldn't be any holes showing. If you just screw it on, the only holes would be on the bottom of the sign.

Your painting also looks really good!

Lawrence

ps- I'd leave the hearts-in my experience it won't take long for time to define things a bit better when dust/etc gathers in the ledges and the hearts will show better (even if they keep the piece clean)

I agree with Lawrence about putting a second board hanging below for the key hooks. If you did want to add color to the exterior of the hearts you might think about bring the brown of your stems on around the hearts.... it would look like an extension of the branches. But even if you don't add more color it is a terrific piece. I especially like the Las Vegas logo.

PS: For those that know me .... I would also use a very light brushing of Golden's Interference Gold (or their Iridescent Copper) over the brown to highlight the branches. But then again, you would need to add Interference Red to the roses and Interference Green to the leaves if you highlighted the branches.
    Last edited by SharonB; 08-04-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenWizard View Post
    I am just finishing up this for my Daughter. Realizing that I am very new to painting so easy on that part..haha. I have two things I would like an opinion on.

1.) She asked of I could add key holder hooks to this or would it look funny? I think you could but they would have to go inside where the feather and the background meet. Not enough edge to do it right. Opinions?

2.) There is a carved lip around the hearts. Should I highlight them with paint and what color?

Here is the Project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130804_102727.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	63897

Thanks in advance

Dave
    Can you share if possible thx if that ok just thought I would ask
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Dave looks great. You could add a small shelf on the bottom and add the hooks under that. This could hold tea candles on the ends.

IMHO, I would forget about highlighting the hearts, looks fine as is. For the keys, if you just take some brass cup hooks and screw them into the bottom edge, not the face but the edge then you would have a place for your keys without adding anything, and not take away from the great carving and painting you already have done.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    Can you share if possible thx if that ok just thought I would ask
    Henry, The base pattern is in the pattern share download as weddings3.mpc. The Vegas pattern was from Jason Allen. Not sure where he is keeping all his files these days.

Dave
    The Magic of making Sawdust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast