Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Preparing an MDF Carving for paint

Default Preparing an MDF Carving for paint

Any tips on preparing an MDF carving for painting? The carved area looks good but it's going to soak in the paint and it's a little "furry" fresh out of the machine. Sanding doesn't sound like a good idea. What I was thinking about is to brush on an Acrylic sealer or maybe even elmers White glue. Going to post 2 picts from my phone..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373645797.292348.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	63534
    Here in the close up you can see the fuzzy surface.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373645820.474657.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	277.8 KB 
ID:	63535
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

Any water based primer or glue size will enhance the "fuzzies" - an oil based primer is necessary for MDF - Some MDF won't react with shellac based primer (BIN) but some will... you just have to try it, but Oil primer has always worked for me.

Lawrence

Good point, Lawrence.. I will carve another pattern to use as my tester piece to see what results I get from priming with the oil-based product.

I've used full-strength Zinnser SealCoat on MDF with no issues. MDF is like a sponge (especially on the exposed, freshly carved areas and edges). I "slather" on the SealCoat, giving extra attention to the areas that drink it up. I put on three complete coats as a rule, but that's not really counting where I recoat the thirsty areas, as I go.

After reading Lawrence's recommendation, I'm thinking the oil-based primer might be the best solution. Please keep us posted on how it's working out.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

shellac (or shellac based primer) works for me really well as long as it is fresh. Once it gets even a little old it seems to get "gummy" on me and clogs up the sandpaper. When it is fresh it gets rock hard and sands easier.

Upon reflection, I suspect this may be the cause for my inconsistencies rather than the MDF.

Lawrence

I've been using mod pudge glue to seal (very thin coat) the wood and it does a great job, painting or staining..... so might be good on MDF also.

I have used the modge podge and it works well on wood... I have a few pieces of MDF I am going to run this weekend with a pattern carved so I can experiment before I attempt to finish the project I'm working on...

I need to look into the differences between the different grades of MDF also... I switched over to using the Lightweight stuff several years ago but I was looking at my large workbench top which is the type of MDF at the box stores... much heavier and darker in color. I have a dado routed down the center where I inserted a t-track for some clamps and I noticed it routed out very clean... not like the lightweight stuff does... maybe a denser grade of MDF would be better for carving work that will be painted..

I'll post some pictures once I have the samples done.

gel stain works great for mdf.
    Last edited by judgejrt; 07-15-2013 at 12:07 PM.

MDF "quality" varies a lot in my area. I never know what the two local big box stores are going to have in stock....sometimes it's the darker (denser) stuff...next week it might be the lighter (soft/fluffy) variety. I prefer the denser/harder MDF when I can get it.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast