Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Sander

Default Drum Sander

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here goes. I read a thread on one of the CNC forums where the user was preparing his wood blanks with a drum sander. I have never used one before so I don't know how useful this piece of wood working equipment would be in general and for CNC in particular. But the drum sander seems to be ideal for preparing wood blanks of uniform thickness and with a final finish (220 grit) for most stuff I would do with my Carvewright. I was looking at the Jet 16-32 drum sander online (Woodcraft, Amazon). It is not inexpensive but I could save enough to get one in a couple of months. Could those of you who use one please pipe in and give me your advice. FYI, I have a DeWalt 14 inch thickness planer, a Powermatic 6 inch jointer, and a very good cabinet table saw. Would a drum sander complement these tools or just be overkill. I am finishing setting up my garage wood shop for my retirement next year so any purchases such as a new drum sander would have to come this year. I look forward to your input.

Depends on what you are doing, but I would say yes, it can be very useful for a CarveWright user. I just got a used Ryobi drum sander several weeks ago and I like it. If you follow my signature link to my web site, you can see the lake maps that I make. I use a poly/stain on the lakes and lettering, just slapping it on, then sand the uncarved portion to trim. Did it with a random-orbit for a long time. The drum sander works great for this. I also make max width pieces, 14.5" wide. The drum sander does a great job after gluing up a project board of that width.

What is the advantage over a wider planer? My planer certainly leaves a smooth enough surface for anything i do.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Quote Originally Posted by badbert View Post
    What is the advantage over a wider planer? My planer certainly leaves a smooth enough surface for anything i do.
    Cost I suppose. My Ryobi is open-ended so it can accomodate a 32" wide board. How wide is your planer?

15", Yeah that certainly rocks! Does that mean you have 32" wide sandpaper? I gotta check one of these things out!

OHH Duh! You flip it over to do the other side! LOL SO it is 16" I often wondered why they called them 16-32!
    Last edited by badbert; 08-01-2013 at 07:42 PM.
    "Carved with Love"

I have an older Performax 16-32 & I use it a lot to sand my boards before I run them in my CarveWright. I really enjoy it for putting a smooth surface on my boards. When I run it I use my dust collector to take care of the sanding dust.

I found one on Sawmill Creek 1 hour away... Love it... But it is easy to take TOO much off...

A tip I use is to place a strip of fiber packing tape on the back side of the pointy ends of the roll paper. Prevents the end from tearing if you change Grits often... And after you change Grits the first time, one board and check paper tightness...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07926_WEB.jpg   DSC07928_WEB.jpg   DSC07935_WEB.jpg   DSC08113_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Like I said I would be looking on Craigslist before I paid for a new one. You might find a deal like this... http://youngstown.craigslist.org/tls/3909381817.html
    "Carved with Love"

I have a Dewalt 13” planer with a 24 carbide bit spiral cutter head that gives me a glass like finish. I also have a Delta 18X36 drum sander that I bought used for $175 that I use when the board is too wide for planer.

I have a 16 " and use it a lot . Have the old blades on my planer and it takes all the planer marks off the wood.
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast