Thread: Lithopane comparison between 1/16" and 1/32" bits

Default Lithopane comparison between 1/16" and 1/32" bits

I purchased a 1/32" ball tip bit from Soigeneris to see if I could get finer detail in a carving. I cut the same photo with a LHR supplied 1/16" carving bit and this new 1/32" bit, both at the highest level. The results were surprising. In short, the 1/32" bit did exactly what I thought it would - it cut with much more detail into the carving. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as nice. WHAT!? My guess is that the software is set up to optimize the look of a 1/16" bit carved lithopane and using the 1/32" bit introduces an artifact that looks like you used Photoshop and over did the Sharpen tool. The 1/16" bit is smoother and more pleasing, and looks more like the original photograph. You can see in the attached photos.<br>
    <br>
    How the 1/32" carving bit does on other carves and other patterns I have yet to find out so I still have some experimenting to do, but for the lithos, I'll stick with a sharp 1/16" carving bit.<br>
    <br>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01506crp.jpg   DSC01503crp.jpg  

Good test and even though the 1/32 carve does show well you can see the difference compared to the 1/16 bit.

HMMM maybe a potential update/add on to new features???
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I believe the problem would be the step-over rate? If the 1/16th (default) Bit is programmed at 50%(?) The 1/32 bit would be 0% (making full passes) and might even force the tip to the point of flexing. That might explain the over-sharpened look. The bit would not be cutting evenly.
    Last edited by badbert; 07-28-2013 at 03:00 AM.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

What quality setting did you use? If you didn't use optimal, it might make a difference.
    Last edited by brdad; 07-28-2013 at 04:47 AM.

The stepover in optimal is .004, best .005.
    Carwright "A" machine
    carvetight spindle
    Heavy duty Traction Belts
    Designer 1.187
    Homemade CNC machine
    Homemade 3-d printer

I used optimal setting for both carves.

If anyone can tell me a way to make the 1/32" carve look better, I am all ears, but in no way, shape, manner, or form am I dissatisfied with the look of the 1/16" bit carve. I am still blown away by how fantastic it looks.

The "problem" or more accurately termed, "effect" may be a factor of the carving medium. Corian© carves extremely well, but I may try this same test using Lucite© to see if the same difference remains. This machine is sooooo much fun!*

*after you learn all the vagaries of the software
    Last edited by 200k; 07-29-2013 at 11:25 AM.

I am having a very bad time trying to do faces>>>>>>how about you

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the resolution of the image or the type of material being used to make the litho. So far every litho I have done looks better with the 1/32" bit. Take a look at: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...-lit-litho-fun
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!