Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bergerud's rubber wooden duck

Default bergerud's rubber wooden duck

I have done this project and I thought I would be a blast to see If it floated...... it didn't it was to top heavy and toppled over so I done a little tweaking and I haven't carved it yet, I had a little girl that wanted it and of coarse her dad said no, but she wanted it for the bathtub....... that's what made me want to see if it floated. so this file is what I done, If someone see's something that I can do different please tell me!
    Attached Files Attached Files

maybe leave more weight (or add weight) to the bottom and take more from the top?

Lawrence

hiya Lawrence, when I did this project the first time it was all solid and the head was heavy, that's what made it not float right. I took the pattern and hollowed it out and put the weight at the bottom, took some weight out of the head and I hope that it works now.
    Last edited by aokweld101; 07-20-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling

That was not my duck. I think it was Lawrence's duck.
    Last edited by bergerud; 07-21-2013 at 12:42 AM.

bergerud, my mistake then somehow I thought you posted it.

who made it isn't important... what is important is that we get pictures of the duck in action!

(I'm picturing adding motors and making it a remote control rubber ducky...)

Seriously though, I'll bet the hollowed out head and top of the body will make a big difference

Lawrence

I will say ya'll have an Imagination....motors...hummmm.

If you hang a string underneath it, and suspend a metal fish, the duck will float upright (much like a decoy) and the fish will swim under it in the water.

If the duck is hollow, you can then fill it with soap and with a properly sized exit port near the duck's butt, it will propel the duck across the tub as the exiting soap breaks the surface tension of the water.

For a real stem-punk project, instead of powering the duck with soap, you can utilize a candle and some flat tubing and sheet, you can build a pop-pop duck! (Search youtube for pop-pop boat if you've never heard of these cool items)

when I was a kid I remember my dad bought me a rocket kit that used baking soda for the fuel you put baking soda wrap in toilet paper put some water in it in the rear of rocket and it built compression until it popped out of the holder wasn't nothing big but it was so cool at that age..I wonder if I could make a... Rocket duck!!!...lmao

Lawrence's original sliced STL Rubber Duckie lives having finally had time to carve and glue up one half for approval. A little more solem project but I'll have to also pursue the steam punk version later. Or maybe one in a full mallard decoy paint scheme.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0033.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	920.1 KB 
ID:	63671 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0035.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	63672 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	63673

Still looking for suitable weatherproof yellow epoxy paint. Thanks again Lawrence and all.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast