Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cut Motor Test

The bottom brush and housing seem fine. Was the brush wires inside possibly hooked up to the wrong brush contacts?

It is my belief that the heating of the Brush Holders is caused by the contamination of the inside of the cut motor from stuff like wood dust and acrylic dust... Where it gets up between the brush and the spinning copper part and sort of lifts the brush but to keep the motor running the brush arc's MORE... some arcing is OK and Normal... BIG Arcing is the problem... It makes MELTING HEAT.....

SO I need to ask... do you have dust collection and have you done any acrylic?

We have seen this before....

Thinking you said you have dust collection.....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Could have been per-dust collection?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Al,

I have never done acrylic. I have a dust collection system but it is only a shop vac. I completely cleaned the motor the last time I took it apart. The melting just happened trying to carve the same coin holder I had the burning issues on. Think a new motor would fix the issues?

the motor was cleaned inside and out about a month ago when I had all these issues. How much does a new motor run. i looked it up in the parts breakdown but it says unavailable.

My 2 cents. I had no dust collection in the beginning. Only had 10 hours on carvewright. Motor quit in the middle of a carve. Would not restart after i sucked the dust out with a shop vac. Long story but I ended up taking the motor out and apart. It was full of dust. Reassembled it and it worked fine. That afternoon the dust hood that I had ordered came. I installed it and have had no more dust problems. I already had a 2 hp dust collector. 1550 cfm. Now i don't get a handful of dust after a 3 hour carve. A shop vac is not made to run that long in my opinion. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you.
    Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Quote Originally Posted by swaggerstick View Post
    My 2 cents. I had no dust collection in the beginning. Only had 10 hours on carvewright. Motor quit in the middle of a carve. Would not restart after i sucked the dust out with a shop vac. Long story but I ended up taking the motor out and apart. It was full of dust. Reassembled it and it worked fine. That afternoon the dust hood that I had ordered came. I installed it and have had no more dust problems. I already had a 2 hp dust collector. 1550 cfm. Now i don't get a handful of dust after a 3 hour carve. A shop vac is not made to rum that long in my opinion. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you.
    thanks. I do have a dust hood on it and use a shop vac. I also have a 2 hp grizzy cyclone but don't have 220 in the house I rent. I tried running it off my 6500 watt generator but it don't provide enough power. I plan to run the 220 when i get to my own home for now the Navy moves me too much to do anything permanent. I appreciate your 2 cents and totally agree with you. With the hood and the shop vac I actually don't get much dust either. I was actually very surprised at the dust devil I ordered. It just seems like all the problems point to the motor not spinning fast enough.

I can't imagine the 6500 watt generator not providing enough power. There are 746 watts in a HP. Unless you had a typo and meant 650 watt generator,.
    Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

The Cut Motor Armature FAN has 2 sides... One side, the Flex side, sucks air from a tube in the Electronic area and the back side sucks air THROUGH the Cut Motor.... Entering at the Cooling Fins near the Brushes... So Dust in the Air is sucked into the Motor....

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01464_WEB.jpg   DSC01465_WEB.jpg   DSC01462_WEB.jpg   DSC01461_WEB.jpg  

DSC06256_WEB.jpg   DSC06239_WEB.jpg   DSC06209_WEB.jpg   DSC06241_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by swaggerstick View Post
    I can't imagine the 6500 watt generator not providing enough power. There are 746 watts in a HP. Unless you had a typo and meant 650 watt generator,.
    No typo I have a 6500 watt surge and 5250 watt running generator. The motor will almost get up to speed then it trips the circuit breaker. by my calculations there should be plenty left but it trips every time and the generator motor bogs down. According to my generator book it is volts X amps = watts. it would take 3,080 watts to run the dust collector once up to speed but the book says to multiply x2 or 4 for start up. That is where there is not enough watts. I did not buy the generator I have to power the dust collector but I had it on hand for hurricanes. it is just my luck that it was not big enough. I plan on up grading soon though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast