Thread: can someone explain what determines what will make a font usable in 2.xx?

Default can someone explain what determines what will make a font usable in 2.xx?

I've been trying to determine exactly which fonts I'm not able to use with 2.xx -

My next move was to see if I could find an alternate font format for the fonts that were missing to see if I could get the same font in a different format to work.

I got really excited to find Monotype Corsiva in a TTF and reloaded it on my computer, but it appears that it still
    does not work even though it is a TTF.

My question is this- What determines whether a font will work or not and is this loss of capability considered a "bug" which is being worked on or is it just a part of the new format that is not going to function with the 2.xx+ software?

Thanks in advance,

V/r
    Lawrence

Lawrence, did you delete the old, install the new and then reboot to clear what is already in memory?

Steve
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

I checked and I have a Monotype Corsiva TTF font on my PC and it does not show in the font list for 2.01 either. So I created a project with 1.187 using the text and then tried to open it in 2.01. The project opened up and gave a warning that the font was not installed on the system so it was using a best guess. I clicked OK and the project opened up, and the font displayed was Monotype Corsiva. I can work on the project from there - add patterns, move and resize the text. I just can't try to edit the text or Designer fails with no error messages.

So possibly you could add the text using 1.187 and then open, edit, and re-save with 2.01 and it might carve fine. I've heard of using multiple programs to get a job done, but multiple versions?
    Last edited by brdad; 07-18-2013 at 09:32 AM.

We were requiering fonts to be smooth scalable AND have a smooth scalable italic style;
    It seems because it is italic inherently, the font database reported it as not having an italic style.
    Fonts are weird...
    We dropped the second requierment, so this font should show up and be usable in 2.002.
    Mark Anderson
    CarveWright (10/28/2008 - 6/18/2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    We were requiering fonts to be smooth scalable AND have a smooth scalable italic style;
    It seems because it is italic inherently, the font database reported it as not having an italic style.
    Fonts are weird...
    We dropped the second requierment, so this font should show up and be usable in 2.002.
    Thanks for the feedback-

Are all TTF fonts smooth scalable or is this a special factor with certain TTF fonts? I ask because I do
    occasionally buy fonts and it would be great to understand what terminology to look for before I buy so
    that I can be better assured of functionality with 2.xx.

Thanks again for letting us know about the upcoming patch fix for Monotype Corsiva,

Steve, I didn't try your method but will
    thanks again

V/r
    Lawrence