Thread: edge detection

Default edge detection

Need some help, c machine will not measure board will not calibrate edge detection keeps failing just as it makes the control side edge of the board. I just replace the sensor and fsc cable thinking that might be the problem. new sensor reads 150 on poplar. any suggestions would be appreciated.
    thanks

Do you get a consistent board sensor reading while moving the head across the board??
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Went through the same problem last night. Board was twisted, just enough to leave the brass roller. Try another board.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Board detection can fail if the head pressure is too high or too low. Clean the four vertical guide posts and lubricate them. Clean and lubricate the jacking screws that raise/lower the head and pull crank handle off and grease the clutch (that slips when you get the head cranks all the way down. With those things in good shape your head pressure should be OK, but you can check it with a bathroom scale. I know there are instructions on how to do so on the forum here.

Oh! One other thing I just thought of. If the head is not level can have board measurement problems too.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

My troubleshooting would be to place a sheet of white copy paper on the board. You already got a 150 on the Popular and that is a good reading. The Paper is required for my test... As it is Consistant...

You are going to do the board sensor test with the head cranked down on the board and white paper. Watch the reading on the LCD and move the head slowly over the board. I know you changed the FSC Cable but I have seen some make the top section too short and the head going to the Bit Plate RIPPED the cable.... BY moving the head you are Flexing the Flex Cable and a intermittent wire will show up... PLUS it will test the Cable SOCKETS for a Broken Solder Joint.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks for all of the help. Came down to the Y axis motor gear being worn and causing binding, had an extra motor package changed it out and is working well. It's always a good thing to have extra parts on hand.

Thanks

Replacing the 2 bearings inside the gearbox can make it like new again.... http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bear...-bearings.html

If the big Gear Shaft is worn, LHR sells the shaft as a replacement part.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks Al, is SKU: 685ZZ the bearings I need ? I plan to hold onto the old unit and rebuild it