Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New 1/8" cutting bit causing serious overheating problem

Default Problem solved

I just received some new 1/8" cutting bits from LHR. The new bit is on the left, an old bit center, and one that I got prior to this latest one on the right. The helix angle appears to be even less on the newest bit than the old bit. I ran my gear test project and the new bit performed well. It ran at about 100-110 degrees F with one spike to 119. Clean cut and no burning. Back in business.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6306555.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	66266
    Last edited by DickB; 12-10-2013 at 04:01 PM.

2. Default

I also had called LHR about the new 1/8th cutting bit design and they sent me a new bit after nearly setting my shop on fire. The new bit they sent me cuts beautiful with no problems. There seems to be a major design flaw on that other bit. I was only cutting a simple shape out of pine @ .25 per pass and it nearly started a fire the very first time I used it. I would say but I don't know how to measure the helix angle and not sure about the difference in flutes either...All I know is the bit I just got cuts just like it should and the one I got a couple months ago got way hot and could of started a fire.

The new bits that I just received are 4 flute but the helix angle is smaller.

Interesting enough to maybe for LHR to ask all the carvewright users to check the 1/8 cutting bits.

I was just using the new 1/8 inch cutting bit I received back in late October of last year and it has a serious problem with burning the wood. Attached is a picture of it cutting a piece of Maple. Max cutting depth is set at .200. I see this conversation was from about that time frame. Was there a bad batch of bits?

dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140406_173853[1].jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	68859

If you look at the photos of bits I posted in post #41, LHR had changed helix angle on the bits, and that caused me problems. They have since switched to a helix angle that actually ran cooler than the original bits in my tests. I was provided with replacement bits that work well. I would contact them with your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    If you look at the photos of bits I posted in post #41, LHR had changed helix angle on the bits, and that caused me problems. They have since switched to a helix angle that actually ran cooler than the original bits in my tests. I was provided with replacement bits that work well. I would contact them with your problem.
    Thanks, DickB, I contacted LHR and they asked me to send a picture of the bit and the burned project and they would send a replacement.

dave

Kudos to Dick B for a great job of troubleshooting. I am sure he solved a lot of problems for Carvers and Carvewright as well. Great job Dick.
    Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

I noticed that the new bit you just got has the groove running higher up the shaft. That would help on a deep cut. Where do I get an ER11 chuck?
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

EBay. Just do a search for er11.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast