Thread: 12 Sided segmented bowl Help

Default 12 Sided segmented bowl Help

Hello everybody! I have been working on a way to miter and bevel segments on the carvewright with no luck. I have mitered edges for boxes, but this is more challenging. The really hard part about it is that the angle that the bowl sits at needs to be 45 degrees off of the table. I have calculated the:

miter angle: 10.73
    Bevel: 10.75
    board thickness: .75
    Board width 3.5

Other details, the bowl with be mortised on the lathe.

I have tried to get the machine to make consecutive passes each one going closer to the center of the segment and deeper, but I do not think the machine was designed to work like that. I have looked for tutorials and other threads, but I have had no luck. Please help!!!

Dave

I've made a lot of six segmented bowls and I don't think the carvewright will give you a smooth enough surface for the glue line even with epoxy. It's hard enough with the table saw to get perfect joints with 12 cuts but 24 seems to be pushing it.

I know it's difficult with a saw, I have been successful with a thick kerf forrester blade on a miter saw, but the board has to be dimensioned perfectly to have good results. That is why I was trying to get the carvewright to do it. The dimensions matter a little less when the cuts are coming from the same side. Also I have a disk sander that could help to clean up the not so smooth surface.

Did you use the carvewright for your 6 segment bowls?