Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Project will no longer open

Will Open. Win 7

Lost some last year during a CEM so I down to 6 gig.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 07-06-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Add "will open" or "not open" with your post... saves going back and playing score card... I am looking for a low RAM to be the issue with NOT opening.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Only 4 Gig and did not open

Here it is- I copied and pasted it onto new boards and brought it in... in both 2.001 and 1.187 (what a nightmare for sharing mpcs this is going to be... it feels ridiculous to have to do this in 2 formats... (I am right that I have to share this in 2 formats right? the first one was saved from 2.001 and the second from 1.187... )

2.001 also crashed on me once when opening it... I wasn't doing anything at all to it, it was just 2.001 open without the file opened or anything. I closed it and then tried opening it by clicking on the file instead of opening 2.001 and then hitting "open" on the tabs. This seemed to work better.

Hope this helps,
    Lawrence
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Here it is- I copied and pasted it onto new boards and brought it in... in both 2.001 and 1.187 (what a nightmare for sharing mpcs this is going to be... it feels ridiculous to have to do this in 2 formats... (I am right that I have to share this in 2 formats right? the first one was saved from 2.001 and the second from 1.187... )

2.001 also crashed on me once when opening it... I wasn't doing anything at all to it, it was just 2.001 open without the file opened or anything. I closed it and then tried opening it by clicking on the file instead of opening 2.001 and then hitting "open" on the tabs. This seemed to work better.

Hope this helps,
    Lawrence
    With 2.001 up and running both opened normally from the "normal" open piece folder icon.
    With 1.187 #2 got the "created in newer version" message. #3 opened no problem.

Since I had not tried the original file I gave that a shot as well. opened no problem in 1.187. With 2.001 it crashed twice trying to open it from the open piece folder icon. Double clicking the project file designer opened just fine...

I am running win7 64bit - 4 gig ram - i7
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    How much RAM does everyone have that does and does not open?

AL
    As stated in my first post, the file was created on a system with 2 GB of RAM, I have 16 GB now. Video memory from 128 MB shared to 4 GB dedicated now. So, I don't think the amount of memory is an issue.

Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz
    16GB DDR3 System
    4GB DDR3 Video
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I have Pattern Editor, Centerline, and Conforming Vectors on 1.187, but am running nothing on 2.01 since it's the trial (which is going to run out before I'd like it to!)

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Agreed. And if we don't append the version to the file name when we have two versions, it'll be even more confusing, not to mention having to edit both if one needs to be tweaked. It's not unusual for an older version of a project to not support files from a newer version, but at that point, the old version is considered outdated and no longer supported, and often not even available from the developer. On a side note - in this particular case, I don't think you need to provide the file in 2.01 format - saved in 1.187 should work fine on either version. Well, work for those who can load it anyway. And, it's good to verify the file saved in 2.01 format still crashes on the systems having problems.

Both your 'copy and paste' versions still crash for me. I really think there is nothing wrong with the file, especially since I can't make a new board with more than 450 holes on it.

Thanks for trying Lawrence, as well as everyone else that has tried.
    Last edited by brdad; 07-07-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Lawrence, or anyone else that can open the file, can I ask one more favor?

I've run into a file that will open with 1.187 but not with 2.01, and found that if I hide some of the objects it opens fine in 2.01. Can someone please hide all those holes and post the project that way?

it feels ridiculous to have to do this in 2 formats... (I am right that I have to share this in 2 formats right? the first one was saved from 2.001 and the second from 1.187... )
    No your not... just save as 1.187 just like its always been.

Running ver. 1.186, All files opened in Designer as follows:

First file opened completely with everything fine,
    all others open with pop-up window saying that the file was created with a newer version of designer and upgrade to view properly.

Windows 7 64-bit w/SP 1, Pentium Dual Core 2.10 Ghz, 8 GB ddr2 ram, on-board video and whatever else in my sig below.
    ~ Mark K

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    No your not... just save as 1.187 just like its always been.
    aah, gotcha... that makes sense-

would there be a value (when troubleshooting) for us to save from 2.xxx as well (just for troubleshooting problem MPCs)?

Lawrence

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast