Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polyacrylic vs Polyurethane vs Lacquer?

1. Default

Isn't mineral oil the same thing only without the "baby" scent?

For someone looking for different .I have used scrap bookers ink pads to highlight and finish instead of stain.

Yes Terry it is the same. I use Danish oil. It really sparks up the color of the wood. Then I let it dry for 2-3 days. And top coat with water-borne Polyurethane. I tell customers to let them cure for a few weeks before putting them outside. Never had a problem... yet! LOL The Danish oil finish will not build up. It is absorbed by the wood.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

I am in the process of trying myself. I pulled the trigger and bought myself brushing lacquer. First tip on using this pruduct YOU NEED TONS AND TONS AND TONS OF VENTALATION/FRESH AIR. This stuff will make you higher than a kite just opening the can. I told my buddie forget about lighting a match in my shop...don't light a match in my neighborhood! That being said I LOVE the results. Or maybe I'm just high I had three coats on both of my carvings the same day. After they were cured I went over the flat surfaces with a 3M Scotch Brite pad. The buffed up like glass. I will post pictures of my two carvings when I can figure out how to post pictures. I added pictures of a dust hood I built but I don't see them on the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    I think I found that video...a guy applying the baby oil and Kiwi brown shoe polish on a carved wooden mask. I am definitely going to try that!

That being said I LOVE the results. Or maybe I'm just high
    that's funny.... BTW a good undercoat is shellac this is organic its less expensive as a bonus will let you use less of the nitro as a topper...
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 07-06-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Kiwi brown shoe polish
    Yea back in the 80's I had a guy show me this as a way to make sunbursts " dark to light brown" for Les Paul's guitars and you can spray lacquer over it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12