View Poll Results: What do you use for cleaning up a carving?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2. Brass Brush

27 71.05%
  • 1. Wire wool

3 7.89%
  • 3. Sandpaper

8 21.05%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning up Carvings?

Default Cleaning up Carvings?

Curious what everyone uses for 'cleaning' up carvings before staining/sealing?

Default Re: Cleaning up Carvings?

Quote Originally Posted by forqnc
    Curious what everyone uses for 'cleaning' up carvings before staining/sealing?
    You might edit your poll to include all of the above, add sanding sealer before , and use of dental picks. I usually use sanding sealer, dental picks, conical sanding sleves in a dremel, and a sanding sponge. Poll won't work for me.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

I use wire brush, sandpaper, and carving chisels (especially around the edges where the cut pixelate).

I have a detail sander that works very nice as well...
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

Here is a trick I learned a few years ago from a fellow decorative decoy carver for removing the fuzz off a carving that was created using rotary power tools.

It utilizes discs made from 3M Scotch-Brite pads on a mandrel in a rotary tool like a Dremel.

I purchase different weight pads at my local home center and use a piece of 1 1/2" black pipe that was sharpened on one end and has a pipe cap on the other to "punch" out the discs.

As you do not apply a lot of pressure I have found that for softer wood the maroon and green pads will remove the fuzz without damaging the carving. Just be careful because the heavier pads can be very aggressive.

These will through some debris so do not forget to wear your safety glasses when using this technique.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails project1_872.jpg  

Default Re: Cleaning up Carvings?

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk
    You might edit your poll to include all of the above, add sanding sealer before , and use of dental picks. I usually use sanding sealer, dental picks, conical sanding sleves in a dremel, and a sanding sponge. Poll won't work for me.
    Yeah a poll was probably not the best way to research this question.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, this is a whole new learning curve for me. Keep the suggestions coming.

Similar to Dustme's approach. I've always used kitchen sponge scourers. Like the scotchbrite pads but with about 1" plastic foam backing.
    I find the white scourers that we can get over here are the best as the more common green variety leave a visible green discoloration from the small particles of abrasive left in the surface.
    I then finish with a dry burnish with a piece of chamois leather, generally with a small amount of wax polish - non silicone variety.

John

I have an old battery powered toothbrush that has a circular head and a rectangle head and both move simultaneously, thought I might see if that would do anything or just try steel wool or something. Have yet to complete a project and am waiting on parts so may be awhile before I try it.
    Why don't they ever clear a neighborhood to plant a forest instead of the other way around.

I picked up a starter set of Flexlite carving knives today and spent some time this evening trying them out on one of my scrap carvings from the CW. Wow, these things are sharp! They seem to do a very good job at cleaning up around the edges of letters and in the nooks and crannies where you can't really sand. So, I will add them to my list of tools used to clean up machine carvings.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Jeff, the best part of using carving knives is that you can now say you did the carving. Many new generation "hand carvers" use machines to rough out their carvings, then finish them by hand. SO we just let the machine do a little more work than others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast