Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: conplacent

I am still having a problem with the temp of my flexshaft in one spot. (About an inch or so from the end of the support wire). The rest of the shaft is fine (86-95)
    One thing that can add to the heat is a dull carving bit...

Connie has a good point. A major cause of heat is the flex being compressed. Make sure the core is free floating. I never thought to stretch the sheath..Humm.

That spot of max curvature is where the core would be pushed against the sheath. The purpose of that support wire is to try and keep that part of the flex straighter. So make sure it is doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Connie has a good point. A major cause of heat is the flex being compressed. Make sure the core is free floating. I never thought to stretch the sheath..Humm.

That spot of max curvature is where the core would be pushed against the sheath. The purpose of that support wire is to try and keep that part of the flex straighter. So make sure it is doing that.
    Dan is correct and one tip Chris Rawls gave us at the conference is to make sure the core has a nice rounded arc. Also could there be some foreign material inside the core???
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Lawrence – 120 is a little warm to hold on to for an extended period of time, not too just feel it.
    Bergerud – I have not read anywhere of a “break – in period”, if there is one I wasn’t aware of it. The signs I’m trying to do are short (range anywhere from est. 16 – 24 mins each).
    Connie – I did slide the spring out of the sheath to make sure it was “straight”, before I pulled it out I straightened and tugged (didn’t stretch it or pull on it) on the sheath to make it a straight line to pull the spring out. It looked good.
    LG – the 90 V bit and the 1/8 cutting bits are both new

I thought the temp of the shaft shouldn’t go over 90+- (stay below triple digits).
    My son is donating about 48 signs to his school (example attached), and I didn’t want it to cost me a new flexshaft ($75) on a new machine in the process.
    Attached Files Attached Files

WAG Alarm... (Another Wild AL Guess).... I have wondered if the length of the Core could be a issue..... Where if a core "Appeared" to be longer when stuffed into the Top Hat and into the Square slot in the Truck...

My WAG Theory is that IF the Motor Square Drive hole was Shallow....

OR the Physical Length of the Core was longer....

OR the outer Flex Rubber part was made slightly SHORTER....

All 3 could result in a length from the end of the Rubber outer flex to the tip of the core length to be slightly longer. The Longer Core when too long due to the above, cause the flex to PRESS on the inside outer curve of the Rubber Flex....

SO with mutable machines and different temperatures, a Measurement from the outer metal part that plugs into the Top Hat to the tip of the Core. You MAY find the Hotter Units have a longer FLEX Length...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03357.JPG  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al,

Tomorrow I am pulling the core from my "A" machine and going to try it in the "C" machine.
    A little leary about trying the entire flexshaft.

Check the squared ends of the shaft to insure there are no burrs, is so file them down..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Ok Al,
    I took the core out of the flexshaft on my "A" machine and put it into the flexshaft on my "C" machine.
    (No burrs on either end of either core)

So far my top temp has been 106 (I think I can live with that)
    But I did notice that the core sticks out of the sheath more on the "C" machine by about 3/16".

I guess it's about time to add a flexshaft to the wish list for ordering.

While having both out, it would have been a interesting thing to do but lay them side by side for length....

And while you had them out.... Measure the depth of the hole in the Cut Motor... I had heard 2 unconfirmed reports that the hole might have been shallow causing a heat problem... but never got a confirmation with actual measurements...

My WAG theory about some with high temps is the length being longer due to one of the 3 things posted above and causing the flex to be pressed against the inside curve of the flex housing. Where a shorter relaxed flex shaft would not have that pressure....

Lots of WAG's...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I also noticed that when I slid the core out of the "A" machine (that has never been lubed) it had ALOT of lube on it (thick). When I lubed my new one I thought maybe I had put too much lube on it, geez I didn't come close to the amount that was on the other one. I'm half temped to take the core back out and lather it up with more lube (half temped, "if it ain't broke - don't fix it"). But, I'm a happy camper now, it's topped out at 106 degrees, so I guess I can live with that.

And I'm loving the smoothness of the CT, smoother and quieter than the QC.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast