Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a Carvewright

I found a copy of the magazine with the article online. The doors are carved by hand using that template. The leaves have some variation carved in them to give them depth.

All that could be done by making a grayscale image in a graphics program like GIMP OR with some of the advanced software and then carved on the CW..

I don't feel right posting a link to copy since I'm sure it's copyrighted, and it's on a Russian site. But here's a pic showing the doors being done.
    And, if you're adventurous, do a Google search for "April 2006 Popular Woodworking" in quotes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CarvedDoors.PNG  

Couldn't this be replicated by taking an oak or maple leaf pattern into Designer and putting them at different depths and angles and you could develop your own design? Would not match exactly but would be similar with no copyright problems.

Quote Originally Posted by tierman View Post
    Couldn't this be replicated by taking an oak or maple leaf pattern into Designer and putting them at different depths and angles and you could develop your own design? Would not match exactly but would be similar with no copyright problems.
    That is actually a very good idea as well. As far as copyright, the pattern is freely available online, my only copyright concern was the copy of the magazine itself.

I purchased the article here so copyright isn't an issue. Playing with the demo software I figured out how to use the paint bucket to lower the areas around the leaves.
    How would you adjust the depth and add a different color or depth?

Something I thought of doing, was a test board that had circles and a pallet of gray scale colors along with the color percentage next to it in Centerline. Assign carve region to each color and after cut you have a better feel to color to depth.

I did one for Slots with a overlap of rectangles and vector cut outline. A real world test board.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

The 4th of July sale just may have forced me to buy now!

Quote Originally Posted by clweed View Post
    I never heard of carvewright until a about a week ago when I was on Sawmill Creek scanning the
    Friends of the creek list to find someone to do some carving.

I have attached a link to the pattern and the finished product for a project that I am going to build.

My question is can this be done with the included software or is additional software required? And how difficult is it to convert?

Thank you,

Lee Weed
    The CW programs I use to make patterns are Designer and the Pattern Editor. I don't have the Newer CW programs, I use after market tools. You can make the complete door with the CW unit. I used CorelDRAW X5 and Photoshop to make this pattern and used ShaderMap Pro to give it a 3d look. There are several Free programs to do this also. I can't justify the New CW programs.

The “Z” Truck movement works with the Grayscale image, 0 = Transparent, 1 = Black (carves into the board), 255 = White (carves on the on the top side). With a Positive image, 128 is a flat image. You can adjust the Grayscale with Photoshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leaf door1.jpg   leaf door Photoshop.png   leaf door ShaderMap Pro.jpg   Leafs 24-cw.jpg  

Leafs 25 BBG_DISP-cw.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bjbethke; 06-28-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

bjbethke

thanks for posting that, I am still undecided on purchasing the Carvewright before the sale ends. How many would buy again at the starter package price , lets assume this was before there was a 2.0.

Also I have a concern about the noise, I live in a subdivision with a 2 car garage as my woodshop.

Thank you,

Lee

Hi Lee,
    I bought my CW almost 2 years ago. I spent more than than current sale price and would buy it again at my original price. I really haven't had any issues with mine. I have over 200 hours on it and other than a flex shaft (which was my fault), I haven't had any issues. I have been wood working for almost 30 years and adding this to my shop has opened a whole new dimension and my clients really enjoy the new options. It is a little noisy, but much quieter than most tools such as planers and routers. I don't believe it will offend your neighbors. As far as 2.0, I will treat it as I have treated all other options for my CW. I will do a full review of the features and if I can justify the cost, I will add it to my system. I have purchased a number of the software add ons such as centerline and keyhole as well as others, but I am not skilled enough in CAD (yet) to justify the 2D and 3D add ons. Bottom line is, I wouldn't be without a CW in my shop and the current sale is a great deal in my opinion.
    Hope this helps....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by clweed View Post
    bjbethke

thanks for posting that, I am still undecided on purchasing the Carvewright before the sale ends. How many would buy again at the starter package price , lets assume this was before there was a 2.0.

Also I have a concern about the noise, I live in a subdivision with a 2 car garage as my woodshop.

Thank you,

Lee
    I live in a subdivision where my garage shares a common wall with my neighbors garage. all the houses are close. The only complaint I ever got was one time when I was trying to finish a project and let the machine run late into the night. So now I run it only during the day and only with the garage door closed. I would buy another (i own two) but I am not happy with the new software charges for yearly upgrades. I will not purchase the upgrades until I have to, mostly in protest. You can do almost anything you want with the basic software, centerline, and conforming software. I bought both my machines used in order to save money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast