Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a Carvewright

Default Thinking of buying a Carvewright

I never heard of carvewright until a about a week ago when I was on Sawmill Creek scanning the
    Friends of the creek list to find someone to do some carving.

I have attached a link to the pattern and the finished product for a project that I am going to build.

My question is can this be done with the included software or is additional software required? And how difficult is it to convert?

Thank you,

Lee Weed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

What you want to do (convert a bitmap line drawing into a pattern to carve) can be done in at least a few ways. Some would require an additional add on. First you have to get the curves into Designer.

1. You could free draw the curves in the basic Designer software which comes with the machine.
    2. You import the bitmap and trace the curves in Designer with the Vector Drawing suite add on.
    3. You could trace the curves in another program like CorelDraw and then import them into Designer with the DXF importer addon.
    4. You could do as in 3 and someone on the forum here would import it for you for free.

What you want to do is not the easiest type of first project to do with the machine. There are many members, however, here on the forum who will be excited to help. It looks like a cool project.

Lee,

You can do it with just the basic designer or for better results you can use the dxf importer.

The pictures are what it would look like in each.. pdf converted to dxf and pdf converted to an image file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pdf to dxf.PNG   pdf to image.PNG  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thank you for answering. Would it make a difference if the pdf was colored to show a little depth and then scanned?

Would some of the leaves be at different depths?

Thanks,

Lee

shades of grey give depth. White is the highest, black is the lowest (or the other way around.. i never remember). And with the invert function, it normally doesnt make a difference anyways.
    Doug Fletcher

With just the standard pdf conversion these will be just flat. With the dxf it is carved with a V bit on either the top surface of the board or with "conforming vectors" it could be carved into a regeion. The one that was converted into an image file would be carved with the 1/16" carving bit. This would be a raster or pattern carve. It would be carved into the wood below the top surface.

It you wanted to shape or form to the leaves you would need the 2D/3D tools or use some other editor to give them shape.

It looked like to me that the leaves in your image are just painted to show depth...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post

It looked like to me that the leaves in your image are just painted to show depth...
    After looking at it again, I think you are right about them being flat.

Lee

Im not so sure. Ether the leaves do overlap... or the painter did a great job. look at the flash highlights. I think there is different depths.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    Im not so sure. Ether the leaves do overlap... or the painter did a great job. look at the flash highlights. I think there is different depths.
    the only "depth" is the areas around the leaves.. It would take a while but one could draw in regions to be carved like the picture
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

I could add some relief to the edges of the leaves where they meet by using hand tools or a foredom

Lee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast