Thread: Scanning probe Problems

Default Scanning probe Problems

For a while now I have been having some trouble with the scanning probe. Sometimes it doesn't recognise that it's in and after getting going it will stop and say "please check probe".

I think I have figured out what my problems have been. My shop temp is generally around 50°F. I build a fire and warm it up to 70°F and all seems well. Today I started a scan and it kept giving me the error please check probe. I took my heat gun and warmed up the probe and truck (takes a while for the shop to warm up ) and it's working fine now.

The other thing I'm wondering about is this:

I noticed that once in a while when the probe goes up the top of the cable drive hits the machine cover slot. I've tried bending it but it's plastic and doesn't seem to stay ( note the gap between the black plastic and the clear cover). Should I request a new plastic top? Maybe I should just stick a block of wood in the middle of it when I'm not using it to spread it a bit?

Here is a carving I did a while back that I am scanning, says it's going to take 20 hours.

Thanks for any help, thoughts. ~Mike
    If at first you do succeed - try to hide your astonishment.

I wonder if the heat gun would soften the plastis just enough for it to 'take a set'? Mine does the same thing occasionaly but usually if I have a long scan I throw the whole thing, cart and CW on a handdtruck and bring it to the house.
    Then it's warm, and I can have some beers while it does it's thing.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Default I do the same thing !

Hello ...I brought mine into the house, during thids cold wheather.My dogs and my wife didn't like it much, but you gotta due what you gotta due. I have not had my scanner long, but the pistol grip I scanned came out perfect.Yes, as mentioned before by pkunk if you wedged a big spacer in the slot to widen the gap and put some heat to it, you should be able to get the slot wider.you coud always take a trim router and and do a little adjusting.
    Ben

pamjmayo Guest

Default Scanner

I don't have the scanner but tempted to get it. Why do you have to use a jig? I've never worked with many power tools and this one really gets me curious.

Your carving is beautiful. Did it scan OK and how did it look when you carved it.

Pam Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by autobody View Post
    For a while now I have been having some trouble with the scanning probe. Sometimes it doesn't recognise that it's in and after getting going it will stop and say "please check probe".

I think I have figured out what my problems have been. My shop temp is generally around 50°F. I build a fire and warm it up to 70°F and all seems well. Today I started a scan and it kept giving me the error please check probe. I took my heat gun and warmed up the probe and truck (takes a while for the shop to warm up ) and it's working fine now.

The other thing I'm wondering about is this:

I noticed that once in a while when the probe goes up the top of the cable drive hits the machine cover slot. I've tried bending it but it's plastic and doesn't seem to stay ( note the gap between the black plastic and the clear cover). Should I request a new plastic top? Maybe I should just stick a block of wood in the middle of it when I'm not using it to spread it a bit?

Thanks for any help, thoughts. ~Mike
    Hello Mike,

I heat my insulated shop/garage with an inexpensive oil heater from Target...keeps the temp comfortable and high enough to keep the CW machine happy. I posted a link to the heater a few weeks ago. Do a search of the forum and you'll find it.

I had the same trouble with the flexshaft hitting the cover slot. I mentioned it to CW when I sent in my machine for repair for something unrelated, and asked if they would fix that too.

When the machine was returned, I noticed that they elongated (vertically) the two screw holes a little on the back of the cover. This allowed the cover to be repositioned slightly to keep the flexshaft from hitting the side of the cover slot. You may want to try that.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══