Thread: Cryptex Labyrinth

Default Cryptex Labyrinth

This was kind of an unusual request by a geeky friend a thousand miles away from me. He thought this up, designed the maze on an Excel spreadsheet, then used that data to make a drawing of disks with appropriately-placed notches which when glued together creates an cylindrical internal maze. Made a few test cuts and had to make a few design changes to allot for machine/bit limitations (as well as the 1/4" plywood that is never 1/4"). I verified the design worked, then sent the disks to the customer and he took over assembling, sanding and oiling the project.

It's actually fairly tough to open it as you really have no way of knowing where you have and have not been!
    There is a cup at the far end of the cylinder, which if all goes well, will house an engagement ring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cryptomaze1.JPG   cryptomaze2.JPG   cryptomaze3.JPG   cryptomaze4.JPG  

cryptomaze5.JPG  
    Last edited by brdad; 06-24-2013 at 05:47 AM.

Sort of a combination Proposal - IQ test. I could have used one of those! My wife would have just used it as a rolling pin and hit me!

That is way cool! Never seen one like it. You should put it in the Pattern Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    That is way cool! Never seen one like it. You should put it in the Pattern Depot.
    Thanks. I may clean the project up a bit someday when I have time and make it available. I'm not sure as I'd sell it as I don't really feel as it is my design.

Also I also had to use a non-standard 1/4" straight (spiral) bit on this project, I don't know why that isn't on the bit list. I designed with the 1/4" ballnose, which worked but looked odd in Designer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ballnose.PNG  

very cool! I love "out of the box thinking" projects

Lawrence