Thread: A unique Diet Mt Dew sign...I think?

Default A unique Diet Mt Dew sign...I think?

One of my good friends is celebrating his 40th birthday this weekend and his wife is throwing a surprise party for him. He is extremely addicted to Dt Mt Dew and she thought it would be funny for everyone to bring something related to that. So I put my thinking cap on and came up with this sign. It's something different, using an actual unopened can of Diet Dew. Thought I would post a picture, maybe someone else could use the idea on another brand...perhaps Budweiser .

Happy Carving
    -Phil

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130622_083713_338.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	63085 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130622_083727_570.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	63086

as a diet mt. dew drinker I appreciate that very much!

Well done!

Lawrence

3. Default

Pretty cool Phil! How did you attach an unopened can? Cut a pocket in the sign and glue?

That is really cool. I'm sure your friend will love it. He may drink the Mt Dew

Leo
    Life is to short carve something today
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    Pretty cool Phil! How did you attach an unopened can? Cut a pocket in the sign and glue?
    The can was the tricky part. I punctured a small hole in the bottom of the can and emptied the soda into a glass. I then rinsed the can out with water and let it dry out in the sun. I used a pair of tin snips to make the hole larger, cutting the side and the bottom. I cut a piece of scrap plywood to fit inside the opening, taped the whole can with painters tape, then sprayed triple expanding foam inside the can. The foam expanded, making the can somewhat rigid. After the foam dried, i placed the can on my cut-off saw at the angle I wanted it to sit on the board and cut it very slowly. After the cut was made, the plywood insert was exposed. I put just a drop of paint to the center of the plywood, then placed the can on the sign where I wanted it to sit. The paint transferred to the sign, marking the center of where to drill a hole. A pilot hole was drilled, then I just screw the can to the board. Worked out perfectly...now for the problem...after a couple of days sitting, I went back into my shop and the can was severely deformed. I had at first thought something had fallen on it, but quickly realized the foam had shrunk, pulling the can with it. I unscrewed the can from the sign and inserted a long tip from a air gun. Gave a quick blast of air and the can popped back into shape. Not sure if it was the heat (my a/c went out in my shop) or if that is the normal reaction of the foam?? Anyway, the sign looks really cool and can't wait till tomorrow to give it to him.

Looks really cool, would look cooler with an 88 on it LOL........nice idea.

Awesome sign. All I can say, just awesome!
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

That should definitely "dew" it... I don't think the others will be able to match this one. Great job!
    George

I've had a couple of requests for the Diet Dew sign mpc. So, here it is...I hope. It's been awhile since I've uploaded something and I'm not quite sure how to do it.

-Phil
    Attached Files Attached Files