Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Place Tabs issue with sled/carrier

Default Place Tabs issue with sled/carrier

Hello! I just purchased my carvewright last week and love it. I have learned lots on the software but cant seem to figure something out... I think I am probably going about this the wrong way and wanted to see if someone can help....

I have been making some keychains with half-inch oak and I have been using the cut path tool and its been working good. I realized I would be better off using a carrier board/sled to make these keychains (AND OTHER PROJECTS) so that I wont waste wood. I found out that the cut-path tool does not work with a carrier board because it wants to cut through the sled. So what I have been doing to get a make-shift cutout is to just outline the project with path offset and assign a 1/8 bit and make the depth go most of the way through the board. Then, use my scroll saw and sander to complete the cutout. There has to be a better way to draw my pattern to use the "Place Tabs" tool, can anyone convert this project for me to give me the correct results? Notice my pattern has a 1-inch board. This is because the board is 1/2" and the sled is another 1/2 inch- Which also may be the wrong way to draw this.

THANKS!
    Aaron
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ajmoore79; 06-09-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Change your design board back to 1/2" and use the cut path tool for your cutouts and all should work just fine. When you set your project up as 1" the machine does not recognize you are using 1/2" on a 1/2" carrier. It only sees it as a 1" board.

To place manual tabs you have to draw lines to indicate where you want the tabs to be. High light (select) all of your tab lines and then select the "place tabs" tool. A pop up box will come up so you can set your tab parameters.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Ok, I'll try that but according to CarveWright tips and tricks, I was told the cut path tool would cut through my project AND carrier board with the cut path tool?

SWEET! It works just like I wanted! Thanks! Apparently they need to update page 3 the "disadvantages" section of this tutorial, unless I'm reading something wrong! Or maybe they updated the firmware/software to figure this up? Either way I'm glad I can continue creating patterns! I hope this helps someone else cause I have been looking for a solution all weekend. Aaron http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_Apr08.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ajmoore79 View Post
    Ok, I'll try that but according to CarveWright tips and tricks, I was told the cut path tool would cut through my project AND carrier board with the cut path tool?
    Take a read on this one. With this release the machine uses your "design" board settings. I believe in prior versions of the software the machine determined the board thickness during the start up routine.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...cks_Sept08.pdf

Now with the latest version of the software I do not think you even get the "Project or Board" message now. At least I do not think I did on my last carve.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Great! That doc helps, Is there a page with all these documents that you can share? Alot of the links to documents are broken and its hard to find them. Only ones I can find are the few in the tutorial section. Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ajmoore79 View Post
    Great! That doc helps, Is there a page with all these documents that you can share? Alot of the links to documents are broken and its hard to find them. Only ones I can find are the few in the tutorial section. Aaron
    Not sure what link your trying but give this one a shot..

http://www.carvewright.com/support-p...s/tips-tricks/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Now with the latest version of the software I do not think you even get the "Project or Board" message now. At least I do not think I did on my last carve.
    From my observation, this depends upon the thickness of your project board and sled. If the combined thickness is greater than the machine's capability, no message. With a 1/4" board and 1/'2" sled, it could cut through both, so you get the message.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    From my observation, this depends upon the thickness of your project board and sled. If the combined thickness is greater than the machine's capability, no message. With a 1/4" board and 1/'2" sled, it could cut through both, so you get the message.
    +1 - this is what I seem to be getting too

Lawrence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast