Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Rubber Ducky Memorial

Default Simple Rubber Ducky Memorial

Hello Friends,

A friend lost his infant Grandson recently and asked if I could carve him a 3D Rubber Ducky as a memorial to place at the gravesite. While he was cared for in the hospital this had been the only object they could place in his Grandson's bed. They have been unable to since find a durable yellow ceramic version to now place on his grave and I said I'd help by making him several (since even in epoxy they will weather).

I need help first finding a simple 3D STL model about 6" beak to tail and then being able to import it as 3/4" vertical slices to carve on the CW as I do not have the STL import software yet. I'd be very grateful for any assistance you can provide to help this family of friends.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rubber_duck_bank_large.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	62796 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rubber-duck.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	62797

Just some idea starters of what they hope to have. My thanks in advance for your kindness.
    Bruce
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

I have the software but don't have a clue how to use it I'm sorry for your friends loss and would help if if I knew how to use it, this is one time I wish I did!

Will this work for you Capt? You should just be able to carve it x2 and then put together.

I hope this helps and let me know if it needs any tweaking at the STL level and I'd be happy to help more.

Lawrence

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rubber duckie parts.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lawrence, your a Master and so helpful too

Lawrence,

You have done a truly wonderful selfless thing for people you have not met and your Karma has risen very high today. Outstanding MPC Sir and thank you so very much on their behalf and mine.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Very nice pattern, Lawrence. Good luck, Capt.Bruce, Fair Tides. Capt Barry

just glad I could help-

If the material is still in question I have a couple of suggestions-

yellow corian or use the CW to make a half mold and make the duck in concrete and then paint it with epoxy tinted yellow.

Just my .02

Lawrence

Lawrence, your pattern making is outstanding and helping out Capt. Bruce will diffidently get you some Karma points. You stated in your post "You should just be able to carve it x2 and then put together.", I am I missing something, if you carve it 2x won't you just have 2 of the same side? Not sure if you meant a complete duck. Again a great job, I really like the mpc! I confuse easily! Greg

Of course you are right...sorry about that, my brain was a bit muddled this morning-

(let's see if I can get this right now) - carve the second side after you "flip" the pieces - I recommend you place the pieces in the layout you would like them in depending on your cut board and then create a pattern from the pieces- this pattern (including the "pierced" surrounds and tabs) can then be "flipped" to create the other side.

Lawrence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast